Use Of The Word Ara In Module Branding

Kevin O'Brien

Feb 29, 2016, 4:56:03 PM2/29/16
to Ara Module Developers
Can anyone tell me if we are going to be allowed to use the word "Ara" in our module branding?

Would we be able to call the module "Ara Something" or " Something Ara"?

Antonio Hurtado Jr.

Mar 1, 2016, 1:38:10 AM3/1/16
to Ara Module Developers
Based on what I know (i'm no expert on law etc.) and that I couldn't find anything saying you can't, I think it would be okay. After all, it's kinda aimed at open sourced hardware. If there was something in one of the agreements or if an agreement is changed , then hopefully somebody will shed some light on the matter.

D1080

Mar 1, 2016, 2:25:42 PM3/1/16
to Ara Module Developers
Hey Kevin, I'm definitely no law student, but I think you could just have your hardware be called for eg, KB HD display module and you would market it for ARA, so for example I am a blogger and I would write about your Ara KB module, but the module itself wouldn't be called KB ARA module, just KB HD display module. I don't think you'll lose out on attracting customers if ARA isn't a part of the name because universal remotes do not have specific TV names, just their own brand name.
So I think KB could become your brand and KB makes display modules for ARA. This way KB can separate itself from other ARA display modules which is important for your specific products.

Notice in this article, none of the modules are called ARA http://www.modularandroid.com/ara-modular-smartphone-modules/

I think what i'm trying to say is, i don't know if you will have problem including ARA in naming, but all products need to have something
of their own so they can stand out, and you need to make a name for yourself which you should then attach to your products, so instead of
module "Ara something" you should have for example KB "something" module KB being whichever brand name you choose.