Re: [ara-module-developers] Digest for ara-module-developers@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Mike Trieu

Oct 12, 2015, 7:29:22 PM10/12/15
to Digest recipients

I, too, see this as the future of mobile. Why limit ourselves to flat panel displays when AR headsets and high-bandwidth, low-latency, wireless transports are ubiquitous? I'm that scenario, power delivery will become paramount.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015, 4:16 PM  <ara-module...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Garrett Kinsman <bossm...@gmail.com>: Oct 11 11:42PM -0700

I've been doing quite a bit of thinking on how ARA will impact the world
around us. The changes will be staggering, and I have come to realize
something very important:

*ARA is not a smartphone. ARA is an adaptable supercomputer that can be
built into anything.*

What we think of as a smartphone will change completely. Here is a module
that I believe should be built, but at first it's going to sound strange: A
high capacity battery module.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ViuGHeSjX1A/VhtPG-jQoDI/AAAAAAAAEcM/YEOdTi0YJjU/s1600/arabatt.jpg>
Most of you are probably thinking, "Where's the screen?!" and I'll
explain. As ARA progresses in the next 5 years, the computing power inside
will surpass modern desktop computing.

The most powerful supercomputer between 1985 and 1990 was a Cray
supercomputer, running at 1.9 Gflops. Modern smartphones are capable of
running in the measly 100 Gigaflop range. That's in a mobile environment,
while running powerful radios. And what do we mostly use these machines
for? Instagram.

With a screen and keyboard, this module will allow the replacement of
desktop computers (If the software allows). CubeSats, game systems, weather
stations, and driverless cars come also to mind. Thousands of applications
will arise where ARA is not used as a smartphone at all, but as a
replacement for a powerful computer.

A high capacity power supply on a networked smartphone also opens up an
interesting new module idea.... But I'll leave that to the future.

What are your thoughts?