Re: 25.1; Missing shortcut keys in HTML-helper-mode

David Reitter

Nov 29, 2016, 7:43:03 AM11/29/16
to Hayo Baan – IT Services, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 29, 2016, at 3:13 AM, Hayo Baan – IT Services <in...@hayobaan.com> wrote:

> I had a look at (M)ELPA, it looks like its just a package
> manager/archive quite like CPAN for Perl. But it also looks like this is
> already supported by Aquamacs just fine, not? So what's your idea for this?

Aquamacs comes with a number of packages, such as AUCTeX, which would also be available from (M)ELPA. Is the Elpa system aware of these packages, and what exactly happens when a user installs an external version on top of it?
There is no warning given if the package was modified in Aquamacs, as is the case for AUCTeX or, eg., html-helper-mode. Is the newer version loaded in the end, and how does it interact with the existing code?

Some existing external packages are also pre-loaded, so they are compiled into the binary. I would expect that Elpa packages will not override those because “require” doesn’t do anything when the package is already loaded. Is Elpa aware of such things?

I think there is a lot to check, and then we need to show warnings when a user installs things. We may need to make Elpa aware of certain packages.

- David