Re: 25.1; copy and paste does not work :(

David Reitter

Sep 21, 2016, 8:59:31 AM9/21/16
to Juergen Fenn, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
thanks for your bug report. This is a very commonly used function that works well for me and hasn’t caused any problems for others during many months of testing, so I’m surprised. Could you please try this, starting with "Start Aquamacs without customizations" from the "Help/Diagnose and Report Bug” menu?

Thanks
- David

> [...]
> byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv smart-frame-positioning
> drews_init color-theme-autoloads view saveplace visual-line disp-table
> aquamacs-bug aquamacs-autoface-mode aquamacs-cl aquamacs-editing recentf
> tree-widget cus-edit wid-edit osxkeys emulate-mac-keyboard-mode
> frame-cmds strings misc-fns thingatpt+ thingatpt frame-fns avoid
> aquamacs-mac-fontsets fit-frame aquamacs-frame-setup sendmail rfc2047
> rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode mail-prsvr mail-utils
> aquamacs-tabbar tabbar-window cl-macs cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-start
> cus-load tabbar easy-mmode load-emacs-pre-plugins aquamacs-site-start
> cocoa-compatibility mule-util matlab-load smart-dnd revive aquamacs-redo
> check-for-updates aquamacs-menu aquamacs osx_defaults aquamacs-tool-bar
> mac-extra-functions aquamacs-tools aquamacs-macros time-date advice
> timezone paren delsel cua-base easymenu pcase tooltip eldoc electric
> uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win ucs-normalize
> term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
> tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
> menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
> syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
> misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
> cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
> cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
> simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
> cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
> env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
> kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)
>
> Memory information:
> ((conses 16 454808 9857)
> (symbols 48 35436 0)
> (miscs 40 153 793)
> (strings 32 57634 10349)
> (string-bytes 1 1892200)
> (vectors 16 42987)
> (vector-slots 8 780585 2366)
> (floats 8 302 113)
> (intervals 56 689 0)
> (buffers 976 38))
>
> Command line: (/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs)
>
> PATH: /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/local/MacGPG2/bin:/Library/TeX/texbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/texbin:/Library/TeX/texbin:/usr/local/texlive/2016/bin
>
> exec-path: (/opt/local/bin /opt/local/sbin /opt/local/bin /opt/local/sbin /opt/local/bin /opt/local/sbin /usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/local/bin /opt/X11/bin /usr/local/MacGPG2/bin /Library/TeX/texbin /usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/libexec /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin /usr/texbin /usr/local/texlive/2016/bin)

David Reitter

Sep 22, 2016, 7:05:11 AM9/22/16
to Juergen Fenn, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Juergen,
I presume you refer to AquamacsEmacsCompatibilitySettings in the Aquamacs Wiki -?
Because of that, I’m inferring from your message that you did not start without customizations.

You could try this, which I have added to the Wiki:

(setq select-enable-clipboard t)

Command-V is still not enabled, but C-y should paste text from other applications. Hope that helps.

- David

> On Sep 22, 2016, at 5:45 AM, Juergen Fenn <jf...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> Dear David,
>
> thanks for your early reply.
>
> As you can see from the bug report, I got the error message "kill ring empty" when trying to paste from the system clipboard. Only copy and paste from within Aquamacs worked.
>
> In case this is important, I have applied the code you provided for using Aquamacs like an ordinary Emacs.
>
> Unfortunately, I have no opportunity for doing any more tests before the weekend. :(
>
> I'll come back to the issue asap.
>
> Best,
> Jürgen.

Juergen Fenn

Oct 18, 2016, 2:34:09 PM10/18/16
to David Reitter, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Hello David,

> Am 22.09.2016 um 13:04 schrieb David Reitter <david....@gmail.com>:
>
> Juergen,
> I presume you refer to AquamacsEmacsCompatibilitySettings in the Aquamacs Wiki -?

Yes, I did.

> Because of that, I’m inferring from your message that you did not start without customizations.

When I start another Aquamacs instance without customisations copy and paste from the system clipboard into Aquamacs works fine. But I would like to keep using a setup with standard Emacs keybindings because I use Emacs on other platforms too.

> You could try this, which I have added to the Wiki:
>
> (setq select-enable-clipboard t)
>
> Command-V is still not enabled, but C-y should paste text from other applications. Hope that helps.

Indeed, this did the trick. I added the line to my .emacs file and tested copy and paste from the system clipboard to Aquamacs, and back again.

I also tested editing (and compiling) a LaTeX and an org-mode file with success.

Again, thanks for your help.

I am sorry I could not answer in an more timely manner. This was due to the fact that I faced a number of deadlines for work that kept me from experimenting further, so I just downgraded in order to get going again, as before. I'm glad I'm back to the most recent version of Aquamacs.

Best,
Jürgen.