Toolbar problem with the most recent version of Aquamacs

Konrad Podczeck

Dec 5, 2016, 6:49:18 PM12/5/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com, Reitter David
Having complied Aquamacs with the recent version from GIt, (flexible) spaces do not appear anymore in the toolbar. E.g., I have code like the following in my preferences.el:

(tool-bar-add-item "space2" menu-bar-separator 'space-5 :label "--"
:enable nil )

or

(TeX-bar-LaTeX-buttons
(save-buffer [separator nil] undo redo [separator nil]
isearch isearchf isearchb batchfind search-replace linenumbers [separator nil] cut copy paste [separator nil]
commentr commentp [separator nil] deutsch
flyspell flyspelln spellword [separator nil] latex
next-error view show-log-file bibtex [separator nil] setmark exchmark [separator nil] splitwindow)))))

but no spaces appear. This is so also with the offical nightly bulids. Even when I start Aquamacs without customizations, and then try to configure the toolbar by the usual Macos way, it is not possible to insert spaces, simply because no spaces icons to drag can be found.

Konrad

David Reitter

Dec 5, 2016, 7:16:16 PM12/5/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com, Hayo Baan – IT Services
Hayo -?
Do we have to revert a change?

---
Sent from my phone

David Reitter

Dec 6, 2016, 7:10:48 AM12/6/16
to Hayo Baan, aquamacs-devel, konrad....@univie.ac.at
OK, merged. Glad we caught it so quickly!

> On Dec 6, 2016, at 3:23 AM, Hayo Baan <in...@hayobaan.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Konrad,
>
> Well spotted, hadn't noticed this myself!
>
> I found the problem, somehow in the last merge of the emacs-25 branch, a line that was added back in October 2015 (!) got removed again. I fixed it by reinserting the line (see pull request #121, https://github.com/davidswelt/aquamacs-emacs/pull/121)
>
> Cheers,
> Hayo

Message has been deleted

Hayo Baan – IT Services

Dec 6, 2016, 8:21:47 AM12/6/16
to David Reitter, aquamac...@googlegroups.com

Hi David,

Well spotted by Konrad (why I hadn't noticed that all toolbar icons had gotten moved to the front, I don't know…)

Anyway I performed some digging to find the culprit. First I went back to commit d94b334 (before any of my changes) and verified the spaces could still be added, then I went to commit 1ceed41 (which is the last of first of my changes, fixing the html-helper and some other minor stuff, but before your next (big) merge of emacs25. Spaces could still be added there too.

Then I checked out the latest merge of emacs25 (commit c8ab970) and lo and behold: spaces can not be added any longer.

After going through all file changes one by one, I found a very likely cause for the change in behaviour: around line 1225 (current line: 1229) they removed the line adding the spacer, mentioning in the comments that newer Mac OSes not show them anyway, which is plainly wrong… If you add back that line, you have back your spaces! The only thing I notice is that those spaces get added twice, this is something that should be easy to fix, I think (but that is for later).

So, we can fix this quite easily (I just created a pull request for it), but this also brings me to the following: I had (erroneously) thought that the ns*.m code was basically Aquamacs only, but now I see it is also part of the bigger emacs project. This means we must also see to it that our fixes/changes find their way into their code (including the update to build only on 10.9+)! I reckon this is something you already do all the time, but it is just something I hadn't realised myself…

Cheers,
Hayo

PS: this is a (slightly reworded) resend of my earlier message, now it should also get posted on the aquamacs development group.
--

Hayo Baan – IT Services
in...@hayobaan.com

Hayo Baan

Dec 6, 2016, 10:49:55 AM12/6/16
to aquamacs-devel
As I was intrigued by the comment stating that newer macOS versions don't show the spacers, I went ahead and installed Sierra on my 2012 laptop (our 2008 Mac Pro regrettably is stuck at El Capitan). Surprise, surprise (well, not really, since spacers are quite necessary): it still shows the spacers and lets you add them too…

Konrad Podczeck

Dec 6, 2016, 3:27:25 PM12/6/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your effort, Hayo,

everything works fine again for me (and I also have Sierra)

Konrad