wrong number of arguments issue in 3.3

Gideon Simpson

Sep 20, 2016, 6:49:28 PM9/20/16
to aquamacs-devel
Just installed the release of 3.3, and I'm still having the problem that when I first open aquamacs and try to open a file (the first time), get the error "Wrong number of arguments: setq, 3"

David Reitter

Sep 20, 2016, 11:24:18 PM9/20/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com, gideon....@gmail.com
Hi,
thanks for your bug report. Could you please give us a list of step-by-step instructions, starting with "Start Aquamacs without customizations" from the "Help/Diagnose and Report Bug" menu.

Thanks
- David

> On Sep 20, 2016, at 6:49 PM, Gideon Simpson <gideon....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just installed the release of 3.3, and I'm still having the problem that when I first open aquamacs and try to open a file (the first time), get the error "Wrong number of arguments: setq, 3"

Gideon Simpson

Sep 21, 2016, 9:22:31 AM9/21/16
to aquamacs-devel, gideon....@gmail.com
If i do that, I don't observe this problem.  I guess I should I just blow away my .emacs customization?

David Reitter

Sep 21, 2016, 9:38:09 AM9/21/16
On Sep 21, 2016, at 9:22 AM, Gideon Simpson <gideon....@gmail.com> wrote:

> If i do that, I don't observe this problem. I guess I should I just blow away my .emacs customization?

Not necessarily, but you would want to look at it to see if you’re modifying any settings related to the clipboard or "interprogram cut/paste functions”.

Gideon Simpson

Sep 26, 2016, 3:42:53 PM9/26/16
to aquamacs-devel, gideon....@gmail.com

After using aquamacs for a bit, I found that this problem has returned.  I find this is a problem even when I do "Try aquamacs without customizations."

David Reitter

Sep 26, 2016, 4:21:31 PM9/26/16
to Gideon Simpson, aquamac...@googlegroups.com

Please make a bug report using the Help -> Diagnose -> Bug Report function so I can see diagnostic information about your installation.

- David

On September 26, 2016 at 4:17:49 PM EDT, Gideon Simpson <gideon....@gmail.com> wrote:
It seems to happen consistently with .tex files the first time I try to open one after launching aquamacs.  It does not happen with .c or .py files.

-gideon

On Sep 26, 2016, at 4:14 PM, David Reitter <li...@david-reitter.com> wrote:

Does it occur right after startup, or only after using some modes for a while?

If it occurs after startup, I would like to take a look at your customizations.el (assuming Preferences.el and .emacs are empty).  If it occurs after using some modes, it would be important to know what these modes are.

Thanks,
David

Gideon Simpson

Oct 19, 2016, 7:58:59 PM10/19/16
to Fábio Novaes, aquamacs-devel
Just tried turning that package off, and indeed, the problem went away for me too.  While that’s fine more many of my .tex documents, I occasionally use that package.

-gideon

On Oct 19, 2016, at 7:57 PM, Fábio Novaes <fabio....@gmail.com> wrote:

I have just noticed this problem while trying to open a .tex file. In my case, the problem is with aquamacs trying to load the file subfigure.el from AUCTeX. In my *Messages* buffer it appears

Wrong number of arguments: setq, 3

When I comment out this particular package in my .tex file, this problem disappears.

Best,
Fabio

Fábio Novaes

Oct 19, 2016, 9:31:29 PM10/19/16
to aquamacs-devel
Hi,

I have changed the file /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/auctex/style/subfigure.el to make it work. Just needed to change line 47 of this file to this:

  ;; Install completion for labels:
   (setq TeX-complete-list
    (append
     '(("\\\\[Ss]ubref{\\([^{}\n\r\\%,]*\\)" 1 LaTeX-label-list "}"))
 TeX-complete-list))

A comment was missing in line 47 and the TeX-complete-list was in the wrong position. This fix the bug.

Best,
Fabio

Fábio Novaes