Re: Aquamacs nightly takes a lot of CPU

David Reitter

Mar 3, 2016, 6:58:54 PM3/3/16
to Meine, Hans, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

Thank you. I am aware of a problem where Aquamacs will not react for a few seconds after starting up. This has been difficult to locate. (Aquamacs -q doesn’t reproduce this for me, but I couldn’t identify any settings that cause it.)

> On Mar 3, 2016, at 6:39 AM, Meine, Hans <hans_...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> Today, I restarted Aquamacs (which I do rather seldomly), and it notified me about a new version being available, pointing me to the 3.3dev nightly builds. I downloaded the latest .tar.bz2 (SHA 257e2e021bec4dee3c8983109fca8be568116491) and tried it out; the only, but severe problem I noticed so far is that it took 80-90% of my MBA’s CPU (according to Activity Monitor, which I opened because the fans became so noisy).
>
> Going back to 3.2 helped, as did closing 3.3’s windows. Opening/closing windows in the 3.3dev version reproducibly starts/stops the high CPU consumption.
>
> I don’t know if this report is of any use to you, but I thought I could leave it up to you to device. I would be willing to answer questions or to perform additional tests.
>
> Best
> Hans

Robert P. Goldman

Mar 3, 2016, 7:25:04 PM3/3/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
I believe that this may be related with the issue I've found where using
emacsclient/server can trigger soaking up a ton of CPU.

But I haven't found a way to isolate this issue yet.

cheers,

David Reitter

Mar 3, 2016, 7:30:23 PM3/3/16
to Meine, Hans, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Hans,

I have just experienced 100% CPU load myself.
When you see this, could you take a “spin dump” using Activity Monitor (click on Aquamacs entry, then select gears icon and “spin dump”)? I would like to compare notes...

- David

Brian Anderson

Mar 15, 2016, 3:16:04 PM3/15/16
to aquamacs-devel, hans_...@gmx.net
I am getting this as well.  Spin dump from 15Mar16 nightly is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47769639/Aquamacs3.3_15Mar16_nightly.txt

ba

Robert Goldman

Mar 21, 2016, 8:36:33 PM3/21/16
to aquamacs-devel
I wonder if this is an issue with El Capitan.  I'm now having troubles with the Thunderbird email program where it starts chewing up 100% CPU (or even more, as reported by top!).

Iliya Lefterov

Mar 21, 2016, 9:24:34 PM3/21/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

what is the machine you are working on - BookPro, iMac, or MacPro? It clearly happens with Aquamacs, from time to time on older BookPro(s), but not on MacPro...

have a nice evening

-I.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wonder if this is an issue with El Capitan.  I'm now having troubles with the Thunderbird email program where it starts chewing up 100% CPU (or even more, as reported by top!).

Iliya Lefterov, MD, PhD,
University of Pittsburgh,
Pittsburgh, PA
USA

Robert Goldman

Mar 21, 2016, 9:27:52 PM3/21/16
to aquamacs-devel
It's happening to me on my MacBook Pro.  Now that it's happening on Thunderbird, too, I'm starting to wonder if Apple messed something up in El Capitan.  This never happened to me on Yosemite.

But then, it's never happening to me on Aquamacs 3.2 -- I had to revert to that.

Best,

Jean-Christophe Helary

Mar 21, 2016, 9:32:28 PM3/21/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com

> 2016/03/22 10:27、Robert Goldman <rpgo...@gmail.com> のメール:
>
> But then, it's never happening to me on Aquamacs 3.2 -- I had to revert to that.

I had that the other day when I installed a nighty and had to revert to 3.2 too.

Jean-Christophe

David Reitter

Mar 21, 2016, 9:33:34 PM3/21/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
There are a few references to a CPU load problem with El Capitan, but no technical description. Similar reports are out there for past versions of the operating system.

Does the console show anything when the problem happens?

Iliya Lefterov

Mar 21, 2016, 9:34:10 PM3/21/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
hm... the latest nighties are working slower on my MacBook Pro, too...
have to take a closer look; never seen this with Emacs 25.0.50...

best,

-I.

David Reitter

Mar 21, 2016, 9:45:04 PM3/21/16
On Mar 21, 2016, at 9:34 PM, Iliya Lefterov <iliya.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hm... the latest nighties are working slower on my MacBook Pro, too...
> have to take a closer look; never seen this with Emacs 25.0.50…

Can you show a benchmark?
I’m not seeing that, but I tend to run a version compiled locally.

What I am seeing is a strange delay upon initial startup.

Jean-Christophe Helary

Mar 21, 2016, 11:12:15 PM3/21/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com

> 2016/03/22 10:45、David Reitter <david....@gmail.com> のメール:
>
> On Mar 21, 2016, at 9:34 PM, Iliya Lefterov <iliya.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> hm... the latest nighties are working slower on my MacBook Pro, too...
>> have to take a closer look; never seen this with Emacs 25.0.50…
>
> Can you show a benchmark?
> I’m not seeing that, but I tend to run a version compiled locally.
>
> What I am seeing is a strange delay upon initial startup.

 I just installed 11.4 and even AE3.2 is making my cpu work like crazy...

Jean-Christophe

Brian Anderson

Mar 30, 2016, 12:56:05 PM3/30/16
to aquamacs-devel, hans_...@gmx.net
I am still getting pegged CPU and unresponsive input from the 29Mar image.  I have to kill Aquamacs from Activity Monitor to get out of it.

FWIW, I have an image from 15Feb that works fine.  Something obviously has changed since then.

Let me know if there is something you would like me to do to help debug this.

ba