Finder aliases ?

Jean-Christophe Helary

Apr 27, 2017, 10:36:47 PM4/27/17
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
I just found (...) that Finder aliases seem to not be supported in Aquamacs.

I don't think that's intended, but is there a technical reason for this (besides for "nobody coded that yet", which I'm also fine with).

Jean-Christophe

David Reitter

Apr 27, 2017, 11:25:47 PM4/27/17
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
My guess is that we’re using file access APIs that are too low-level, and nobody really complained about this.
I did notice it at some point, though. It’s worthwhile fixing if it’s not too difficult.

- D

Jean-Christophe Helary

Apr 28, 2017, 2:50:47 AM4/28/17
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't look trivial.

I found some C code linked from the Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_(Mac_OS)
http://hints.macworld.com/dlfiles/getTrueName.txt

But it uses deprecated functions...

Jean-Christophe

David Reitter

Apr 28, 2017, 8:32:59 AM4/28/17
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that’s outdated. References to files should normally by reference/ID, not by name, but that isn’t an option in the Emacs world.

Consider this code:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1175094/os-x-terminal-command-to-resolve-path-of-an-alias