Aquamacs -nw?

Paul Hankes Drielsma

Oct 9, 2013, 7:09:24 PM10/9/13
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Does anyone use Aquamacs in a terminal?  I'm wondering if I can use it as my terminal $EDITOR with the -nw option so that I can go all-Aquamacs, all the time instead of GNU in the terminal, Aquamacs for GUI stuff.  When I try to, it seems to load fine, but things are strange.  Backspace, for instance, acts like C-d.  And C-x C-c gives me
 "Symbol's function definition is void: switch-to-buffer-in-tab"
but only if I've modified the buffer.  If the buffer is unmodified, it exists as I'd expect it to.

So I'm wondering if anybody has any advice here.

Thanks!
Paul

David Reitter

Oct 9, 2013, 7:36:19 PM10/9/13
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com, Paul Hankes Drielsma
Paul,

There was a bug causing the switch-to-buffer-in-tab behavior. If fixed this recently. Download the nightly build of Aquamacs 2.x from http://aquamacs.org/nightlies.shtml

As for C-d and Backspace, and possibly similar issues: this may happen. I am happy to apply patches. Aquamacs is equipped to run in a terminal, but it is not optimized for it, and I not tested very well. I don't run Aquamacs in terminals, and I rarely receive bug reports.

- David

D A Vincent

Mar 6, 2016, 8:40:22 PM3/6/16
to aquamacs-devel
Hi Paul,

What do you do when you try it?  I use /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs -nw in a Terminal window.

I get around the Backspace issue using M-x normal-erase-is-backspace-mode, if it is the same thing as you report.

One thing I've been wondering about is whether it is safe to run Aquamacs like this while the app is running normally.  Have you tested it in these circumstances?  David R?

d a vincent

David Reitter

Mar 7, 2016, 11:07:17 AM3/7/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
I do see the backspace/delete problem, too. We can certainly automatically enable normal-erase-is-backspace-mode if started as -nw.

However, other things seem to be broken, too - C-h maps to backspace, strangely. This occurs even if Aquamacs is started with -nw -Q.

As for running it concurrently with the GUI version: I see no major problems. I would probably not save options when exiting the terminal mode version (as this is untested).

- D

David Reitter

Jun 20, 2016, 3:38:58 AM6/20/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com, dvin...@zeta.org.au
The backspace / C-h problem has been fixed with commit ce918df.
Thank you for reporting it.