Re: 24.4.51;

David Reitter

Jul 9, 2017, 8:52:28 AM7/9/17
to Greg Weeks, aquamacs-devel
Hi Greg,

See screenshot.  It shows your text in Aquamacs 3.4dev.
Second screenshot shows your text in Mail.app.

U+03C6 appears okay to me, even though it does display the alternative variant of the small phi glyph.  Is this what you are seeing also?

If you have difficulties printing, then we should fix that bug.

- David

On Jul 8, 2017, at 12:37 PM, Greg Weeks <goyos...@gmail.com> wrote:

Enter your bug report here.

On macOS Sierra Version 10.12.5, in an Aquamacs window, in the Monaco font, the Greek lowercase phi glyph is wrong.  It looks rather like this, Φ, instead of this, φ (desired).

To see the problem view the "desired" glyph in (I predict) *any* program other than Aquamacs.  Then copy and paste it into an Aquamacs window with the Monaco font.

(I should mention that I'm addicted to Aquamacs, although I'm still on 3.2, since I couldn't get 3.3 to work with my printer.)

Regards,
Greg Weeks
goyos...@gmail.com

In Aquamacs 3.2 GNU Emacs 24.4.51.2
(x86_64-apple-darwin14.0.0, NS apple-appkit-1343.14)
of 2014-11-07 (Aquamacs-3.2) on watson.local
Operating System: OS X Version 10.12.5 (Build 16F73)
Configured using:
`configure --with-ns --without-x 'CFLAGS=-arch x86_64 -O3 -g
-mtune=corei7 -mmacosx-version-min=10.6' 'LDFLAGS=-arch x86_64 -O3 -g
-mtune=corei7 -mmacosx-version-min=10.6''

Important settings:
 locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
 savehist-mode: t
 smart-frame-positioning-mode: t
 aquamacs-autoface-mode: t
 recentf-mode: t
 osx-key-mode: t
 show-paren-mode: t
 delete-selection-mode: t
 cua-mode: t
 tooltip-mode: t
 electric-indent-mode: t
 mouse-wheel-mode: t
 tool-bar-mode: t
 menu-bar-mode: t
 file-name-shadow-mode: t
 global-font-lock-mode: t
 font-lock-mode: t
 blink-cursor-mode: t
 auto-composition-mode: t
 auto-encryption-mode: t
 auto-compression-mode: t
 column-number-mode: t
 line-number-mode: t
 auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
 transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<backspace> <backspace> I O N SPC D O E S N ' T SPC
B U G SPC Y O U . SPC SPC ⇧L I K E <backspace> <backspace>
SPC M E SPC O M I T T I N G SPC ∫ D X ' SPC A B O V
E . <return> <ns-application-activated> <help-echo>
⌘A ⌘X <ns-application-activated> <ns-open-file-line>
<wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <wheel-down> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<ns-application-activated> <ns-open-file-line> ⇧I T
SPC M O ^A ^E S T L Y SPC T O A <backspace> <backspace>
A L K S SPC A B O U T SPC D R U G S SPC T O SPC T R
E A T SPC O V E R D O E S <backspace> <backspace> S
E . SPC SPC ⇧T H E N SPC C O N S T I P A T I O N .
SPC SPC ⇧A D ^B ^D N D SPC T H E N SPC A SPC B I T
SPC A B O U T SPC D E T O X , SPC U S I G <backspace>
N G : <return> <return> - SPC <ns-application-activated>
⇧S U B O X O N E SPC = SPC B U P R E N O R P H I N
^K ^X ^S <ns-application-activated> <ns-application-activated>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1>
⌥⇧Q ^X ^S ⌘A ⌘X <ns-application-activated> <help-echo>
φ <backspace> <help-echo> <ns-application-activated>
<help-echo> φ υ τ σ ρ χ ψ ω <ns-application-activated>
<help-echo> <ns-application-activated> <ns-open-file-line>
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <bug-diagnosis> <send-emacs
-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Saving file /Users/gregweeks/ws/handy/tmp.txt...
Wrote /Users/gregweeks/ws/handy/tmp.txt
File saved.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader misearch
multi-isearch rfc1345 quail help-mode network-stream starttls url-http
tls url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 url-gw url-cache url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core gnus-util password-cache
url-vars mailcap load-emacs-plugins aquamacs-mode-defaults auctex-config
server preview-latex tex-site auto-loads aquamacs-aux savehist
one-buffer-one-frame byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv
smart-frame-positioning drews_init color-theme-autoloads view saveplace
visual-line disp-table aquamacs-bug aquamacs-autoface-mode
aquamacs-editing recentf tree-widget cus-edit wid-edit osxkeys
emulate-mac-keyboard-mode frame-cmds strings misc-fns thingatpt+
thingatpt frame-fns avoid aquamacs-mac-fontsets fit-frame
aquamacs-frame-setup sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils aquamacs-tabbar tabbar-window cl-macs cl gv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-start cus-load tabbar easy-mmode
load-emacs-pre-plugins aquamacs-site-start cocoa-compatibility
matlab-load smart-dnd revive filladapt aquamacs-redo check-for-updates
aquamacs-menu aquamacs osx_defaults aquamacs-tool-bar time-date
mac-extra-functions aquamacs-tools aquamacs-macros advice parse-time
timezone paren delsel cua-base help-fns easymenu tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 190359 32102)
(symbols 48 25726 0)
(miscs 40 254 724)
(strings 32 30436 6702)
(string-bytes 1 936581)
(vectors 16 25852)
(vector-slots 8 1352203 154287)
(floats 8 191 515)
(intervals 56 290 0)
(buffers 960 35))

Command line: (/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs)

PATH: /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/gregweeks/bin:.:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/texbin

exec-path: (/usr/local/bin /usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /Users/gregweeks/bin . /usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/libexec /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin /usr/texbin)

David Reitter

Jul 9, 2017, 6:43:09 PM7/9/17
to Greg Weeks, aquamacs-devel
Greg,

OK, so why is this an issue?
It seems to me that both variants are acceptable.

- David

On Jul 9, 2017, at 6:38 PM, Greg Weeks <goyos...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jul 9, 2017, at 4:47 PM, David Reitter <david....@gmail.com> wrote:

So, this?

<PastedGraphic-3.png>

Yes, exactly.  The glyph before "(desired)" should look like this:

<Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 5.35.55 PM.png>

Many thanks for reproducing this issue!,
Greg Weeks

Hayo Baan – IT Services

Jul 10, 2017, 1:29:38 AM7/10/17
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com

I think the difference is in using the Latin small letter Phi (ɸ, U+0278) versus the Greek small letter Phi (φ, U03C6). The latter is more distinctive from the Greek capital letter Phi (Φ, U+03A6).

Hayo Baan – IT Services

Jul 10, 2017, 1:34:52 AM7/10/17
On 10/07/17 07:29, Hayo Baan – IT Services wrote:

> I think the difference is in using the Latin small letter Phi (ɸ,
> U+0278) versus the Greek small letter Phi (φ, U03C6). The latter is
> more distinctive from the Greek capital letter Phi (Φ, U+03A6)

Actually, I notice that how big the difference is, is mostly a font
thing. When I wrote the message the difference was clear (greek small
letter phi has an opening at the left part of the circle and has the
line not extend above it). But when later viewing my message again, the
greek small letter phi showed with a closed circle and with the line
extending...

So, there probably is no issue anyway (if indeed greek small letter phi
is used).

Cheers,
Hayo

David Reitter

Jul 10, 2017, 6:49:01 AM7/10/17
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com, Greg Weeks
Greg can probably map a different glyph to the character as described here:

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/6052/how-to-set-the-glyph-of-a-unicode-character

I haven’t played around much with this.