Skim

Konrad Podczeck

Oct 19, 2016, 2:56:36 PM10/19/16
to Reitter David, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

in order for forward syncing to work with the latest version of Skim I suggest you to update auctex-config.el according to the code found here:

I simply change line 313 in auctex.config.el from

tell front document to go to TeX line %d from theSource%s
into

     tell front document to go to TeX line %d

which did the job for me with the type of texfiles I work with, but don’t know whether this is correct in general.

Kontaf

Robert P. Goldman

Oct 21, 2016, 3:55:53 PM10/21/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, this modification did not work for me.

I typically work with large multi-file TeX documents and with this
change I'm not getting to the right position in my PDFs.

best,

David Reitter

Oct 22, 2016, 5:36:28 PM10/22/16
to Konrad Podczeck, aquamac...@googlegroups.com, cmho...@gmail.com
This causes Skim to synchronize on the wrong .tex file, or in the right pdf file (maybe) but at the wrong line, in my multi-source tex project.

That’s not quite that surprising because the change you propose does not make sense if you look at the code that is shown in the Skim source, which only hides “from theSource” is theSource is the empty string. How is it supposed to resolve the line number?

This was the commit comment:

> don't pass tex source file to applescript command when no source file was passed in display line script, let the synchronizer find the source

This appears to be a real bug in Skim, given that we are correctly showing the .tex file of the original source. This used to work great, as you said, and after the update, I’m not getting any reaction out of Skim at all.

Cc’ing Christiaan Hofman who may be able to elucidate what we’re doing wrong, or what’s happened to Skim.

David Reitter

Oct 22, 2016, 5:43:11 PM10/22/16
to Konrad Podczeck, aquamac...@googlegroups.com, cmho...@gmail.com
FYI

https://sourceforge.net/p/skim-app/bugs/1128/

So maybe this is going to be fixed in the next Skim version — but the displayline script proposed there (avoiding source specification) is unlikely to work out unless Skim has some way to resolve the source specific line number into a “global” line number!

Robert P. Goldman

Oct 22, 2016, 6:17:11 PM10/22/16
On 10/22/16 Oct 22 -4:36 PM, David Reitter wrote:
> This causes Skim to synchronize on the wrong .tex file, or in the
> right pdf file (maybe) but at the wrong line, in my multi-source tex
> project.
>
> That’s not quite that surprising because the change you propose does
> not make sense if you look at the code that is shown in the Skim
> source, which only hides “from theSource” is theSource is the empty
> string. How is it supposed to resolve the line number?
>
> This was the commit comment:
>
>> don't pass tex source file to applescript command when no source
>> file was passed in display line script, let the synchronizer find
>> the source
>

> This appears to be a real bug in Skim, given that we are correctly
> showing the .tex file of the original source. This used to work
> great, as you said, and after the update, I’m not getting any
> reaction out of Skim at all.
>
> Cc’ing Christiaan Hofman who may be able to elucidate what we’re
> doing wrong, or what’s happened to Skim.

I get the same problem as David. Actually, when I trace the call to
invoke applescript, I see that the call to applescript now blows up
because the application is unable to handle the event.

I haven't been able to persuade the script editor to give me any more
specific information. But AFAICT Skim's support for Tex Line in
multi-source-file TeX documents is now busted.

I wish I knew how to *downgrade* my copy of Skim, since this used to
work flawlessly. :-(

Konrad Podczeck

Oct 22, 2016, 6:21:08 PM10/22/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com, cmho...@gmail.com
I don’t use the displayline script for forward searching, but the code in auctex-config.el, and with my hack and for ordinary single file contexts, forward syncing work perfectly: right page, and the red syncing point is (almost) at the correct line.

Konrad

David Reitter

Oct 22, 2016, 6:43:43 PM10/22/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com, cmho...@gmail.com
How many .tex sources does your document have?

Konrad Podczeck

Oct 22, 2016, 7:19:11 PM10/22/16
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
As I said, single file context, meaning just one tex-source file. In my first mail concerning the issue, I said explicitly that I "don’t know whether this (i.e., my hack) is correct in general.“ But what I have, I think, is better than nothing.