does aquamacs need MacTex installed to compile latex?

greg...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2015, 11:33:57 PM1/5/15
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Will Aquamacs work if MacTex is not installed first? I get error 127 if I try to compile latex
LaTeX: problems after [0] pages

I have a new macbook pro (OSX 10.10) and I installed Aquamacs  3.2 GNU Emacs 24.4.51.2
I have used aquamacs on an old mac machine for over a year with few problems - I like it a lot.
The installation seemed simple and straightforward, basically double click the dmg file and move the icon to Applications.

MESSAGES WHILE STARTING UP ACQAMACS

... done.
Wrote /Users/greggold/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Packages/.nosearch
Shell: /bin/bash
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
16 environment variables imported from login shell (/bin/bash).
... done.
Mark set
one-buffer-one-frame-mode disabled.
Mark set [26 times]
file-error: (Opening directory no such file or directory /Users/greggold/Library/Logs/CrashReporter)
Mark set [5 times]

MY USER FILE (clump_present4.tex) WAS THEN LOADED
Mark set [3 times]
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
No connection file "/var/folders/q_/v6d8z7t96x911lskqblhg_680000gn/T/emacs501/server"
Automatic display of crossref information was turned on
Applying style hooks...
Applying style hooks... done
<wheel-left> is undefined [3 times]

CLICK ON LATEX (compile command)
Type `^C ^L' to display results of compilation.
LaTeX: problems after [0] pages

TeX Output exited abnormally with code 127 at Mon Jan  5 17:09:56
Running `LaTeX' on `clump_present4' with ``pdflatex  --synctex=1 -interaction=nonstopmode "\input" clump_present4.tex''
/bin/sh: pdflatex: command not found

TeX Output exited abnormally with code 127 at Mon Jan  5 17:09:56

I tried to run pdflatex from a terminal but it was not found; and locate pdflatex only found a pdf file

bash-3.2$ locate pdflatex
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/matplotlib/tests/baseline_images/test_backend_pgf/pgf_pdflatex.pdf
bash-3.2$

Any advice would be much appreciated

David Reitter

Jan 6, 2015, 8:21:50 AM1/6/15
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com, greg...@gmail.com
On Jan 5, 2015, at 11:33 PM, greg...@gmail.com wrote:

> Will Aquamacs work if MacTex is not installed first? I get error 127 if I try to compile latex
> LaTeX: problems after [0] pages

Aquamacs in principle will work, but it does not contain the TeX system (which is more than one gigabyte in size). To compile LaTeX, install MacTeX.

PS.: Consider subscribing to the Emacs on OS X mailing list for user support questions.

greg...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2015, 7:59:50 PM1/6/15
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com, greg...@gmail.com
I just installed MacTex and then compile worked without further ado. Thanks for the advice.

As an experienced Aquamacs user, and an experienced latex user, but without much knowledge of emacs or unix, I would like to offer a comment/feedback to the developers.

Aquamacs  is the best latex editor I have used, ahead of text wrangler, sublime text, textEdit and others. There is a problem: the find and replace function is difficult to operate because of a bad interface. For example yesterday I was replacing a simple string with instances throughout a long document, and after 1 or 2 replacements it seemed to stop working. I was trying to get it to check each instance and allow me to replace or skip; then I tried to get it to replace all instances. I eventually gave up and did the replacements manually.  No other function I use in aquamacs causes such a problem. I tried to check the manual but that seems hopeless; in any case a mac adaption should not require a manual for basic functionality.

David Reitter

Jan 6, 2015, 9:32:14 PM1/6/15
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com, greg...@gmail.com
Greg,

On Jan 6, 2015, at 7:59 PM, greg...@gmail.com wrote:

> Aquamacs is the best latex editor I have used, ahead of text wrangler, sublime text, textEdit and others. There is a problem: the find and replace function is difficult to operate because of a bad interface. For example yesterday I was replacing a simple string with instances throughout a long document, and after 1 or 2 replacements it seemed to stop working. I was trying to get it to check each instance and allow me to replace or skip; then I tried to get it to replace all instances. I eventually gave up and did the replacements manually. No other function I use in aquamacs causes such a problem. I tried to check the manual but that seems hopeless; in any case a mac adaption should not require a manual for basic functionality.

Thanks for this feedback.
I think, to replace an instance, you would press Space, to skip, you press ’n’, and to replace all, you press ‘!’.

It’s not a graphical interface, but it should be discoverable in the sense that there is a menu shown at the bottom of the window. I’m going to review that.

Best,
David