Re: 24.4.51; Hangs on MacOS with multiple spaces

David Reitter

Jan 22, 2015, 8:26:00 AM1/22/15
to Marc Shapiro -- at work, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Marc,

What would be helpful here is to check the ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs directory as well as ~/Library/Preferences/org.gnu.Aquamacs.plist.

If you can preserve these files when you get a crash, you can perhaps reproduce this better.

Did you have the font or color panel open when quitting Aquamacs beforehand?

Best,
David

> On Dec 14, 2014, at 10:59 PM, Marc Shapiro -- at work <marc.s...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> Emacs hangs on launch when running on MacOS with multiple virtual spaces. Currently using Aquamacs 3.2 on MacOS 10.10.1, but the same issue appears with other versions of Emacs and on previous versions of MacOS. It's not reproducible but it occurs very frequently: On launch, the "Emacs" or "Aquamacs" menu appears; however, seemingly at random, sometimes it just hangs there and never opens a window. This seems to be correlated with multi-space support. It may take one, two or three kill-restart cycles until I get a proper emacs window. (Once launched, it works fine.) This does *not* appear to happen when I launch without customisations, but how can I find out which of my many customisations is responsible???? I am appending the MacOS crash report at the end of this report.
>
> In Aquamacs 3.2 GNU Emacs 24.4.51.2
> (x86_64-apple-darwin14.0.0, NS apple-appkit-1343.14)
> of 2014-11-07 (Aquamacs-3.2) on watson.local
> Operating System: OS X Version 10.10.1 (Build 14B25)
> Configured using:
> `configure --with-ns --without-x 'CFLAGS=-arch x86_64 -O3 -g
> -mtune=corei7 -mmacosx-version-min=10.6' 'LDFLAGS=-arch x86_64 -O3 -g
> -mtune=corei7 -mmacosx-version-min=10.6’'

Marc Shapiro -- at work

Jan 22, 2015, 9:04:55 AM1/22/15
to David Reitter, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
David,

Thanks for your reply.

I was not aware that there were some options automatically saved at the end of my .emacs file, likely by an older version of Carbon Emacs. I removed them, and since, the problem seems to have gone away mostly. I still have occasional hangs on startup, but very infrequently.

Marc

> Le 22 janv. 2015 à 14:25, David Reitter <david....@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Marc,
>
> What would be helpful here is to check the b directory as well as ~/Library/Preferences/org.gnu.Aquamacs.plist.

David Reitter

Jan 22, 2015, 9:11:02 AM1/22/15
to Marc Shapiro -- at work, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Marc,
What were those options?
- David

Marc Shapiro -- at work

Jan 22, 2015, 9:22:46 AM1/22/15
to David Reitter, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Looking back into some old time-machine backups I find the following. I can't vouch that this is the most recent.

Marc

(custom-set-variables
;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
'(safe-local-variable-values '((my-latex-bibfile . "~/svnbackup/public_html/shapiro-bib.html")
(my-latex-bibfile . "./local.bib")
(utf-translate-cjk-mode . nil)
)))

David Reitter

Jan 22, 2015, 9:39:10 AM1/22/15
to Marc Shapiro -- at work, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, I can’t see how this can possibly cause hangs upon startup. More likely a red herring.
- David