Re: getting "unlockFocus called too many times"

David Reitter

Nov 17, 2015, 7:04:33 AM11/17/15
to John Hearn, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
John,

> when attempting to launch Aquamacs from the command line, I get the following error.

I’m aware of the “unlockFocus” warning and have been trying to trace it down. Thanks.

> Files I'm attempting to open also never appear in a buffer, but depending on how I exit Aquamacs, may get over-written so they're empty when I re-open them from the finder.
>
> > /Applications/Aquamacs/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs ~/Desktop/file.txt

That is another problem, which I have NOT seen before.

What happens when you open Aquamacs with the -q parameter?

open -n /Application/Aquamacs/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs --args -q ~/Desktop/file.txt

(Note that “open” is a better way to start up Aquamacs.)

Best,
David

David Reitter

Nov 17, 2015, 7:07:49 AM11/17/15
On Nov 17, 2015, at 7:04 AM, David Reitter <david....@gmail.com> wrote:

> open -n /Application/Aquamacs/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs --args -q ~/Desktop/file.txt

Correction, this should be as follows:

open -n /Application/Aquamacs/Aquamacs.app --args -q ~/Desktop/file.txt

David Reitter

Nov 18, 2015, 10:13:02 PM11/18/15
On Nov 16, 2015, at 12:30 PM, John Hearn <jhe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure what triggered this problem, as I don't recall installing any updates or new software, but for the past few days, when attempting to launch Aquamacs from the command line, I get the following error. Files I'm attempting to open also never appear in a buffer, but depending on how I exit Aquamacs, may get over-written so they're empty when I re-open them from the finder.

Thank you. This bug was fixed today.

- David

John Hearn

Nov 19, 2015, 2:01:43 PM11/19/15
to David Reitter, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
That's great. Will there be a stable release with the bug fix soon, or should I download a nightly?

David Reitter

Nov 19, 2015, 2:02:58 PM11/19/15
to John Hearn, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Download the nightly build, for now.  And btw, the big that was fixed was the one regarding opening files.

A terse message sent with my phone

John Hearn

Nov 19, 2015, 2:08:41 PM11/19/15
to David Reitter, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Oh, so the nightly will still give the "unlockFocus" bug behavior? Is there a temporary fix that will make launching from the command line functional again?

BTW, I've been using the following script to launch Aquamacs. I don't recall where I originally found it.

David Reitter

Nov 19, 2015, 2:10:28 PM11/19/15
to John Hearn, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
You should not launch the binary directly (MacOS/Aquamacs), but with

open -a Aquamacs file.txt

or with the command line tool that is installed with Aquamacs. I don’t recall whether that warning occurs. It is not a hard error in any case. (I’m sorry, but I can’t debug third-party tools…)

No other temporary fix.

- David

John Hearn

Nov 19, 2015, 2:19:50 PM11/19/15
to David Reitter, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Okay, thanks for the quick replies.

David Reitter

Mar 20, 2016, 5:34:21 PM3/20/16
to John Hearn, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
This problem has been addressed. Aquamacs should no longer show this message. Thanks for the report.
- David