Is "Track in street view" off position?

G8ZMG

Jan 9, 2012, 10:33:31 AM1/9/12
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone noticed that the image shown in "Track in Streetview" is not quite the same as the actual location of the station.  The Yellow man symbol standing on the green disc is also several hundred metres away from the actual station symbol as well.  The image shown matches with the yellow man symbol on the map.

For Example: at 13:02GMT, G8ZMG-9 was at 53 49.77N, 001 48.60W but the yellow symbol was at 53 49.59W, 001 48.70W.

I have seen this happen with other stations locally as well.

Have I missed something obvious?

73 Steve G8ZMG

Heikki Hannikainen

Jan 16, 2012, 3:12:05 PM1/16/12
to apr...@googlegroups.com

Looks like a bug. I'll look into it!

- Hessu

Heikki Hannikainen

Mar 8, 2012, 3:30:09 AM3/8/12
to apr...@googlegroups.com

I accidentally bumped into the bug and it's fix in the code. beta.aprs.fi
should be fixed as of yesterday evening! The Google Street View API is a
bit funny, if you search for panorama views within 50 meters from the
position of the station, it'll actually give you the closest panorama
view. If you search for panorama views within, say, 500 meters, it will
just give you some view within 500 meters instead of the closest one. So
I'll have to do two calls: one with 50 meter radius, and if it fails
(station is not on a road with Street View available), ask again with 500
meter radius (could well give a nice view pointing to the building /
mast / tower): http://beta.aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FOH2RDG&timerange=3600

I did some other fixes in it's behaviour too - the map should now stay
centered when you switch in and out of street view, and the view should
now look at the general direction of the station if the station is not
moving, or if it's course or heading is not known. I saw some cases where
it used the course transmitted by a car for the heading of the view, even
though the street view panorama was from a road not very close to the car,
and the car was not moving.

- Hessu