Consider supporting APRS messaging

mbe...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2015, 10:19:03 AM10/23/15
to aprs.fi
I would appreciate any integration of sending APRS messages from aprs.fi. We can already read them, but sending them would be a nice plus.

Currently the few sites that do support this are either messy or have poor UI.

jeep2liberty

Feb 24, 2016, 3:43:54 PM2/24/16
to aprs.fi
If done carefully to authenticate the user, this could be a nice feature. How would you authenticate the user?

Heikki Hannikainen

Feb 24, 2016, 3:55:42 PM2/24/16
to aprs.fi
On Sun, 21 Feb 2016, jeep2liberty wrote:

> If done carefully to authenticate the user, this could be a nice feature. How would you authenticate the user?

One option I've been considering is accepting messaging (and data deletion
requests) from clients which have a valid ARRL LotW (Logbook of the world)
X.509 certificate installed in their web browser. Or a valid X.509
certificate from some other trustworthy organisation (other clubs or
leagues, or other organisations/teams which are already doing license
validation) which has confirmed that the user in fact has an amateur radio
license.

- Hessu

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

Feb 26, 2016, 1:52:36 AM2/26/16
to aprs.fi
If done carefully to authenticate the user, this could be a nice feature. How would you authenticate the user?

'course just knowing a short non-cryptographic APRS-IS passcode number is enough to get APRS messages directly into any other APRS-IS node   :-/

Nick VA3NNW