Tactical Call Sign

David Wilma

Jun 15, 2017, 1:42:29 AM6/15/17
to aprs.fi
Is there a way to edit display data to replace the call sign with a tactical call sign, e.g., instead of AG9EEE it shows up at Rest 2.

Heikki Hannikainen

Jun 15, 2017, 1:48:02 AM6/15/17
to aprs.fi
On Wed, 14 Jun 2017, David Wilma wrote:

> Is there a way to edit display data to replace the call sign with a
> tactical call sign, e.g., instead of AG9EEE it shows up at Rest 2.

APRS does not support editing transmitted things afterwards. You can only
switch to a new tactical callsign for new transmissions.

- Hessu

mdtayl...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2017, 12:38:07 PM6/15/17
to aprs.fi
Non mobile 'units' such as is implied with 'Rest 2' should probably be placed in the system as an item or object. With the right software that can be done, then removed at the end of the event.

Mark

Mike Maynard

Jul 13, 2017, 1:39:31 AM7/13/17
to aprs.fi
It would be nice to have aprs.fi somehow tag callsigns with a tactical...

We do several bike events (among others) that we have several people on the course.  It would be very useful to have a way where we can input the real call and tacitcal call, and just have the map display the tactical.

Rest stops as listed above, are easy enough to do with a KML file.  We just need an easier way to see the tactical call on the map.  Its not something that can just be transmitted, as many devices cant transmit out the Tacitcal call to be used.

The actual callsign could be displayed when using the 'balloon' popup for information.

Maybe there is something out there, that is using the aprs.fi API to do such a thing and I havent found it yet.

Thanks
Mike
KD2IFF

WJ3K

Jul 14, 2017, 5:38:25 AM7/14/17
to aprs.fi

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 1:42:29 AM UTC-4, David Wilma wrote:
Is there a way to edit display data to replace the call sign with a tactical call sign, e.g., instead of AG9EEE it shows up at Rest 2.

You can set MYCALL in an APRS station beacon to a tactical call sign, as long as you include your legal call sign in your beacon or status text.  We use a series of MDAA??-## in Anne Arundel County, Maryland for tactical call signs in public service or emergency service events.

For instance, MDAARD-7 could be the race director shadow operator, MDAABK-9 is the last (sweep) bike in a foot race and MDAASG-9 could be the SAG Wagon.  You can search in aprs.fi for MDAA* to see how we have done this in the past year.  The course monitors can see an aprs.fi map that only shows stations using the MDAA sequence for tactical calls, or any others selected for display.

But you have to plan this and set the MYCALL's in advance.  aprs.fi will only show what APRSIS hears.

Gordon / WJ3K

Mike Maynard

Jul 19, 2017, 6:11:55 PM7/19/17
to aprs.fi
I have recieved several emails regarding my post, and I will try to address the suggestions that have been made here so the entire group can see.

  1. I had 2 suggestions for different application services.  Seems I cant say the names here, or the post wont get through but I will say my reasons against them.
    • Neither is as elegant as aprs.fi - they look more like something written for computers of the 90's vs computers of today.
    • they are not platform independant.  meaning they cant easily be run on mac, linux, android, etc.  one of my displays i have used runs a raspberry pi.  One of our net-control guys uses his map laptop.  I think you see the point!
  2. Assigning tactical calls via tracker beacon, and use FCC callsign in the comments
    • This is not possible with aprsdroid.  Not sure if it works via the iphone app many use either.  we tend to use cell phone trackers as much as possible as they provide more consistent results.  Yes, I am aware there may be other tracking applications that we could just use phones.... but alas, we always have a handful of true aprs trackers too, thus making a different solution not viable.
    • This also makes it so the people using the trackers have to reconfigure their setup....  some of them dont recall how, as they did it once, and dont need to again.  Others may likely forget to change it back (yes, there is always that person!!)
  3. Are tactical call signs on the map a high priority for you?
    • I feel they are yes.  We use them on the air...  so thats what net control has in their head when looking at the map.
    • Another thing is, sometimes we toss one persons tracker in a different vehicle with a different operator.  so while the tracker reports say A1ABC-1, the actual radio operator is B2XYZ, with a tactical of SWEEP-1.  By using full tactical, it associates everything properly.
In the end, what I think needs to be a potential....

It was suggested to me one of the 'offline applications' allows for a method to 'Create Nickname' for an APRS entity.  I think this is something that can be implemented in some fashion or another on aprs.fi.  maybe it uses cookies to keep track of the nickname data.  Maybe it uses a logged in session?  As an old school php programmer, this does not sound overly difficult to me.  Yes it would take some time to create, but could be a very useful addition to aprs.fi.

Another option that jumped into my head as I write....   make it a file reference.  Maybe a comma delimited file that is added to the url the same way the kml file is.

file example:

KD2IFF, SWEEP-1
KC2SIN, SWEEP-2

This would allow for a quick setup and deployment, as a one time translation file is built, and its read in via url.  (maybe even possibly a filer setup could happen the same way, thus only showing the callsigns in the list)

With a Nickname setup, as well as the filter setup I discovered (allowing you to setup a list of callsigns you want to see), aprs.fi could be even better for those of us who use it for events like this.

Some will say I am full of big ideas!  Thats usually the case.... sadly I cant act on many of them myself!

Thanks again,
Mike
KD2IFF

mdtayl...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2017, 5:45:48 PM7/20/17
to aprs.fi
@Mike Maynard

I sounds like you should use a CAD program that has the ability to use any one of a number of trackers including APRS, and the CAD program can assign the tactical call. There are several open source programs available.

Afterall, that would be a prime function of working the events. Keeping up with incidents.

Cheers,

Mark