Display multiple AIS receivers on map, How to

Joe Scaffidi

Apr 16, 2017, 2:00:42 AM4/16/17
to aprs.fi
In order to enhance/improve my overall AIS coverage, I run two different AIS receivers (and process their outputs with two different instances of ShipPlotter) from disparate geolocations (e.g., one from home on the mainland, and another at a geographically-optimal remoted offshore location across an ocean channel).

Both instances of ShipPlotter (serving each of the two receivers) are being shared directly with APRS.fi via ShipPlotter and the "/aisfeed/<my APRS.fi-issued passcode> script. My AIS data is being received by APRS.fi and properly attributed to K6WMJ, and I properly appear in the APRS.fi list of "AIS contributors".  And when I identify the physical location of the mainland receiver's location on the map, the Green Tower Symbol dutifully appears in the proper location.

That is to say, all is well with my AIS-to-APRS.fi interface ... EXCEPT... when I proceed to locate the offshore receiver (i.e., the second receiver) on the map, the mainland receiver is removed from its previously identified location on the map; it appears that the first (mainland) receiver was inadvertently (and unwelcomed-ly) MOVED to the offshore location!

So, the question: How can I locate and display TWO (or, potentially, THREE) different AIS receivers on the APRS.fi map under my "account"?
Joe//  K6WMJ

Heikki Hannikainen

Apr 16, 2017, 2:10:44 AM4/16/17
to aprs.fi

Hi,

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017, Joe Scaffidi wrote:

> In order to enhance/improve my overall AIS coverage, I run two different AIS receivers (and process their outputs with two different
> instances of ShipPlotter) from disparate geolocations (e.g., one from home on the mainland, and another at a geographically-optimal
> remoted offshore location across an ocean channel).

> So, the question: How can I locate and display TWO (or, potentially, THREE) different AIS receivers on the APRS.fi map under my "account"?

Unfortunately aprs.fi currently assigns an AIS receiver API password for
each user account, i.e. it can only identify one receiver per user
account. At the moment you'll need to create multiple user accounts, one
for receiver, so that you can have separate URLs/passwords. It's a bit
silly, yes.

These days aprs.fi has the concept of "web stations", which are attached
to your account and you can have many of them. It'd probably make sense to
convert the AIS receivers to instances of these stations, and have them
have their own AIS passwords/URLs.

- Hessu

Joe Scaffidi

Apr 16, 2017, 4:01:36 AM4/16/17
to aprs.fi
Hessu,
Thank you for your prompt reply.

So if I DID create a "web station" for of the Remoted Receiver, where would I obtain / what would I use as ... an "AIS Password" for the ShipPlotter Sharing Server Script field entry?

  Thank You
  Joe //   K6WMJ

Heikki Hannikainen

Apr 16, 2017, 6:58:28 AM4/16/17
to aprs.fi
Sorry, I did not write the reply very clearly:

You can not at this point create web stations and have AIS passwords for
them. You'll need to have two user accounts at this point unfortunately.

I would need to do spend a day to write code, to implement that
functionality in aprs.fi, to convert the AIS stations to a variant of the
web stations, so that you could then have many of them.

- Hessu