aprs.fi rules

Andrew Rich

May 13, 2017, 2:55:26 PM5/13/17
to aprs.fi
Hello

Can you tell me please for aprs.fi

When does a duplicate position warning come up

What is the packet too fast rate for aprs.fi ?

Andrew VK4TEC

Heikki Hannikainen

May 13, 2017, 3:15:55 PM5/13/17
to aprs.fi
On Wed, 10 May 2017, Andrew Rich wrote:

> Hello
>
> Can you tell me please for aprs.fi
>
> When does a duplicate position warning come up

It is shown if a station jumps back to one of the exact previous positions
that appeared during the past 30 minutes.

If a station is moving and reports GPS positions, it normally does not
jump to the very same exact position for quite a while.

There are, however, a good large bunch of stations which are in fact not
moving (i.e. it's a house, tower, or a non-moving car), but are sending
GPS positions which, due to GPS inaccuracy, are wandering around all the
time, unnecessarily growing my database over here. This filter prevents
aprs.fi from unnecessarily storing all of those 3-meter jumps back and
forth.

It also catches a lot of delayed duplicate packets, which arrive later
than the next transmitted packet due to stuck igates and TNCs, or
generally slow network.

> What is the packet too fast rate for aprs.fi ?

The error string for too fast rate is "[Rate limited (< 5 sec)]" which, I
hope, should be self-explanatory.

- Hessu