APRS Call signs

Denny Rossbach

Jan 11, 2016, 4:29:24 AM1/11/16
to aprs.fi
I notice that the APRS site shows my call as being tracked near Wichita KS.  I am the owner of the FCC amateur license N5QD and have nothing operating near this location.

Is this an issue with call piracy or is there something about APRS that causes this to be different?  It would seem curious that a person continuously reporting their position would
from using another's call sign since they are tracked?

Thank you   Denny

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)

Jan 11, 2016, 8:55:02 AM1/11/16
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Actually, if you look at the age of that report, it was seen there on 2015-05-16 08:40:52.  aprs.fi has a LONG memory!

Heikki Hannikainen

Jan 11, 2016, 9:18:30 AM1/11/16
to aprs.fi

Hi,

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016, Denny Rossbach wrote:

> I notice that the APRS site shows my call as being tracked near Wichita KS.  I am the owner of the FCC amateur license N5QD and have nothing operating near
> this location.
> Is this an issue with call piracy or is there something about APRS that causes this to be different?

I took a look at the info page at http://aprs.fi/info/N5QD and under the
heading "Stations near current position of N5QD" the first (nearest)
callsign is N5UQD, which has lots of additional points and position
history.

I'd guess either N5UQD mistyped his callsign once 148 days ago, or there
was some data corruption on the APRS network and the bits of 'U' got lost
somewhere on the way. In any case, it's not getting transmitted any more.

aprs.fi is just an archive of stuff that was seen on the APRS-IS, so
that's what is shown. Old stuff gets deleted over time.

- Hessu

Denny Rossbach

Jan 11, 2016, 4:22:13 PM1/11/16
to aprs.fi
Thank you for the info,  I'm less concerned now and the experience is tweaking my interest in APRS,  Denny