Baloons

Peter Kaminski

Dec 25, 2015, 5:31:27 AM12/25/15
to aprs.fi
Hello, I saw some baloons on APRS.FI today also some wx baloons transmitting in the 400 MHz range. Is this a new feature? Until now I saw baloons with amateur radio payloads only. So how can this baloons tracked? Is there a special gateway?

Regards
Peter
DL9DAK / N9DAK

P.S.: Your iOS app is realy great - of course the best APRS app available on iOS ...

Heikki Hannikainen

Dec 27, 2015, 9:53:33 AM12/27/15
to aprs.fi

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015, Peter Kaminski wrote:

> Hello, I saw some baloons on APRS.FI today also some wx baloons
> transmitting in the 400 MHz range. Is this a new feature? Until now I
> saw baloons with amateur radio payloads only. So how can this baloons
> tracked? Is there a special gateway?

Some folks receive weather balloon sonde transmissions (of weather
balloons sent regularly by the meteorological folks) on 400 MHz and
transmit that data on the APRS-IS. There's a special DSP modem software to
do that. It can be debated whether that's a great idea, since it's not
amateur radio traffic which APRS-IS is supposed to be carrying.

> P.S.: Your iOS app is realy great - of course the best APRS app available on iOS ...

Thank you, I'm glad you like it! If you do, please rate it on the app
store. Thanks.

- Hessu