API Use Case

Ryan Gartin

Mar 16, 2017, 2:12:10 AM3/16/17
to aprs.fi
Hi Hessu,

Congratulations on locking down your email. I've spent 30+ minutes looking for it. You can probably remove this "My email address can be found in the blogger profile" from the API page, it's definitely not on your blog or anywhere else on the internet for that matter.

In short, please drop me a line at "ryan ]at[ eagledevelopers /\ net". I don't think you'll mind my use case for your API but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,
Ryan

Heikki Hannikainen

Mar 16, 2017, 2:32:37 AM3/16/17
to aprs.fi

Hi,

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017, Ryan Gartin wrote:

> Congratulations on locking down your email. I've spent 30+ minutes
> looking for it. You can probably remove this "My email address can be
> found in the blogger profile" from the API page, it's definitely not on
> your blog or anywhere else on the internet for that matter.

Yep, seems like it got lost from the profile in the Google+ transition a
few years back. I'm trying to reduce spam a bit, and also, get aprs.fi
related questions pointed at this list for archival and documentation
purposes. Last night someone managed to call me on the *telephone*, with
a customer support style question, regarding another free web service that
I run, which was a bit annoying. aprs.fi alone gets some 40000-50000
active users per week, according to Google Analytics, so I try to keep
individual direct customer support to a minimum.

> In short, please drop me a line at "ryan ]at[ eagledevelopers /\ net". I
> don't think you'll mind my use case for your API but I just wanted to
> make sure.

In that case you can probably post the question on this discussion group,
so that the answer gets archived and others having the same question might
find it without asking again.

- Hessu

Ryan Gartin

Mar 16, 2017, 5:33:48 PM3/16/17
to aprs.fi
Ok well I'll have to be a bit more vague here, still in prototype phase.

I'd like to query the API every 15 minutes to get users "last known location". I will query multiple callsigns in the same request (is there a limit?) (near term it will be less than 15 callsigns, more as App gets more popular). This is a user manually opt-in feature (free) and I will disable the feature (and remove callsign from query list) if their location hasn't changed in APRS in the last 48 hours.

That's 672 maximum requests per week assuming that there is at least one person who wants to keep their location current. Likely though this will be active 1/3 of the time as my App is mostly used on weekends.

-Ryan

Heikki Hannikainen

Mar 16, 2017, 5:40:18 PM3/16/17
to aprs.fi

Hi,

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017, Ryan Gartin wrote:
> I'd like to query the API every 15 minutes to get users "last known
> location". I will query multiple callsigns in the same request (is there
> a limit?) (near term it will be less than 15 callsigns, more as App gets
> more popular).

There is a limit, please see https://aprs.fi/page/api under the heading
"Querying multiple targets using a single request". There might be other
interesting information on the page too, so I'd suggest reading through
the whole document. :)

> That's 672 maximum requests per week assuming that there is at least one
> person who wants to keep their location current. Likely though this will
> be active 1/3 of the time as my App is mostly used on weekends.

That's not an awful lot of requests, should work easily. Please pay
close attention to the API terms.

Thanks!

> -Ryan
>
> On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 2:32:37 AM UTC-4, Heikki Hannikainen wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2017, Ryan Gartin wrote:
>
> > Congratulations on locking down your email. I've spent 30+ minutes
> > looking for it. You can probably remove this "My email address can be
> > found in the blogger profile" from the API page, it's definitely not on
> > your blog or anywhere else on the internet for that matter.
>
> Yep, seems like it got lost from the profile in the Google+ transition a
> few years back.  I'm trying to reduce spam a bit, and also, get aprs.fi
> related questions pointed at this list for archival and documentation
> purposes.  Last night someone managed to call me on the *telephone*, with
> a customer support style question, regarding another free web service that
> I run, which was a bit annoying.  aprs.fi alone gets some 40000-50000
> active users per week, according to Google Analytics, so I try to keep
> individual direct customer support to a minimum.
>
> > In short, please drop me a line at "ryan ]at[ eagledevelopers /\ net". I
> > don't think you'll mind my use case for your API but I just wanted to
> > make sure.
>
> In that case you can probably post the question on this discussion group,
> so that the answer gets archived and others having the same question might
> find it without asking again.
>
>    - Hessu
>
> --

- Hessu