Data will be lost

VA3BRW

Apr 10, 2016, 5:33:19 PM4/10/16
to aprs.fi
Hello, further to my further exploration of the iOS app, I have come to realize that this may not be the best app to use to gather a record of a specific trip (with a specific SSID).

In my previous note, I surmised that I could use the SSID 'Poland' during an upcoming visit, and that would be great, except that at some point subsequent to my trip, that SSID will not be of use, and I will delete it – but all my trip data gets deleted too. I would welcome someone telling me that I am mistaken here.

Also, since the 'delete station & all data' is so near the 'Beacon now!' button, and I have large fingers and am no longer steady (age), I see the potential of deleting accidentally (yes, I know it is a 2 stage process, but fingers don't always go where you want them to!)

I'm all for deleting the SSID, but I wouldn't want to see the data disappear.

Perhaps, I will have to stick with OpenAPRS-XL for iOS beaconing, while using aprs.fi iOS for monitoring So far, data retention is my only concern for this app.

73,  Brian

Heikki Hannikainen

Apr 12, 2016, 7:51:33 AM4/12/16
to aprs.fi
On Sun, 10 Apr 2016, VA3BRW wrote:

> Hello, further to my further exploration of the iOS app, I have come to
> realize that this may not be the best app to use to gather a record of a
> specific trip (with a specific SSID).

I have to agree, the SSIDs were not quite meant for identifying specific
trips. They are intended for identifying specific stations (home, car,
bicycle, boat, airplane) belonging to the same callsign owner.

In the normal APRS protocol, there are just 16 SSIDs available.

> In my previous note, I surmised that I could use the SSID 'Poland'
> during an upcoming visit, and that would be great, except that at some
> point subsequent to my trip, that SSID will not be of use, and I will
> delete it – but all my trip data gets deleted too. I would welcome
> someone telling me that I am mistaken here.

Correct, if you tell it to delete, it will delete. That's precisely what
the deletion function is for.

> Also, since the 'delete station & all data' is so near the 'Beacon now!'
> button, and I have large fingers and am no longer steady (age), I see
> the potential of deleting accidentally (yes, I know it is a 2 stage
> process, but fingers don't always go where you want them to!)

I've been thinking about maybe adding a 3rd stage there ("do you really
want to delete all data attached to this station"), at least if someone
complains that they've managed to accidentally delete a station.

- Hessu