GPS module for APRS

John589

Oct 31, 2013, 2:09:36 PM10/31/13
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Does we need a GPS module to appear on APRS.FI, or does a radio transmitter is enough to be located by the local data base?

Heikki Hannikainen

Nov 2, 2013, 6:01:10 AM11/2/13
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 8:09 PM, John589 <mic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does we need a GPS module to appear on APRS.FI, or does a radio transmitter
> is enough to be located by the local data base?

aprs.fi does not know whether you have a GPS or not. It'll happily
display any valid position packets it receives from the APRS-IS.

Sometimes when people manually insert the coordinates, they make some
small accidental mistakes in the coordinate formatting, causing the
packets to get rejected by aprs.fi (or shown at an unexpected location
on the map) - with a GPS it's easier to get it right.

If your packets are not shown in the raw packets display
(http://aprs.fi/?c=raw), aprs.fi is not getting them at all. If
they're getting rejected by aprs.fi, they're still shown in raw
packets, along with a (hopefully) descriptive error message that might
provide some hints.

- Hessu