strange aprs behaviour with two entries of same callsign

Heinz Boehner

May 9, 2016, 6:49:51 AM5/9/16
to aprs.fi
Hallo, since some days my aprs.fi shows a strange behaviour when calling some of my different vehicles. The problem is, that I get a display of the same vehicle callsign with the option of an slightly older or newer record. Have that never seen before. Please see the attached picture as a sample for some more possibilities. I am using two vehicles. 1st my car listet with DL9NDG-9 what works perfectly. 2nd my motorbike having that strange problem can be found with DL9NDG-6, DL9NDG-7, DL9NDG-10 or DL9NDG-11. None one is working correctly. DL9NDG-11 for example is not listet in the standard window with the other callsigns.
How in god's name can I correct this nerving Problem?

Please have a look at my attached picture.

Many thanks for any help.

Vy 73 de Heinz DL9NDG (G4YUV, ZL3HRB)
aprs entries.PNG

Heikki Hannikainen

May 15, 2016, 6:00:27 AM5/15/16
to aprs.fi
On Sun, 8 May 2016, Heinz Boehner wrote:

> Hallo, since some days my aprs.fi shows a strange behaviour when calling some of my different vehicles. The
> problem is, that I get a display of the same vehicle callsign with the option of an slightly older or newer
> record. Have that never seen before. Please see the attached picture as a sample for some more possibilities. I
> am using two vehicles. 1st my car listet with DL9NDG-9 what works perfectly. 2nd my motorbike having that
> strange problem can be found with DL9NDG-6, DL9NDG-7, DL9NDG-10 or DL9NDG-11. None one is working correctly.
> DL9NDG-11 for example is not listet in the standard window with the other callsigns.
> How in god's name can I correct this nerving Problem?

Hi,

DL9NDG-11 was apparently sent by the aprs.fi iOS app (now DL9NGD-1, -11
has been deleted by now).

The stations sent by the iOS app are so called "web stations", as they do
not originate from the APRS network, and are sometimes transmitted by
non-hams.

To prevent them from messing up APRS data, they live in a different
namespace, i.e. there can be a DL9NDG-1 from APRS, and a second one from
the iOS app. Actually, another iOS app user may technically create a third
DL9NDG-1 web station and even though it shares the name, it will not
overwrite yours and the data between the two will not get mixed up.

If you look up the callsign, you get a disambiguation page which has links
to the APRS station and the web station:

http://aprs.fi/info/DL9NDG-1

The APRS station DL9NDG-1 is here: http://aprs.fi/info/a/DL9NDG-1

The web station DL9NDG-1 is here: http://aprs.fi/info/w/3046407797

Note that the web station is referred by an ID number in the URL. This is
used to identify the web station, and deal with the fact that there may
sometimes be multiple stations using the same name.

There is a bug in there, the web stations do not currently show up in the
"Other SSIDs" list. I'll fix that soon.

- Hessu