Small feature request - Visually indicate beacon/position update

Sterling N0SSC

Mar 7, 2017, 1:24:36 PM3/7/17
to aprs.fi
I feel like something that might be handy in a race or dispatch-type event, or just for fun to visualize the APRS environment, is visual updates for position and beacon updates.

Currently box at the bottom of the right sidebar says how many points were updated, and if you're tracking a single station, you have a clear indication of update with a tick sound and and obvious position change. However, it'd be cool to see these updates from a more zoomed-out perspective though a visual and acoustic highlight.

Request: Make the tick sound enabled on every APRS update in view, as well as a radiating circle from the updated station, similar to the Blitzortung lightning map - https://vimeo.com/102182281. Attached is a pic of an example that shows 2 stations updated on the last server update  - imagine the circle is radiating outward to a radius of around 40px, in about a half second's time.

Sterling, N0SSC

aprsrequest.png

Ryan Gartin

Mar 17, 2017, 2:25:45 AM3/17/17
to aprs.fi
+1

You could add the CSS class, pulse once, remove CSS class.

Heikki Hannikainen

Mar 17, 2017, 2:36:52 AM3/17/17
to aprs.fi

A feature like that would be handy, yes. You can currently also track
multiple stations at the same time (just search for multiple
comma-separated callsigns) and then have the acoustic ticks for all of
them if you like.

But no, can't do with CSS like that unfortunately, Google Maps API draws
markers on a HTML5 canvas and in my code I cannot apply CSS to the marker
any more. I looked briefly (in 2011) into getting the symbols to rotate
using CSS3 transformations, instead of downloading prerotated symbols from
a set of 12k images, but no, the Google Maps API won't let me do that.

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/35820797

On the other hand, it seems like the Chrome antialiasing bug has been
fixed last summer, so maybe the own canvas + getDataUrl approach could be
revisited.

If you have any suggestions, please check if they are applicable in the
Google Maps API environment.

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017, Ryan Gartin wrote:

> +1http://bluefaqs.com/2016/02/how-to-animate-a-map-location-marker-with-css/
> --