weather graphs

ja...@ehamnet.cz

Jan 9, 2015, 9:21:33 AM1/9/15
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

is it possible to add new WX graph for Voltage?
APRS 1.2 SPEC (http://www.aprs.org/aprs12/weather-new.txt) added new telemetry for Voltage Vxxx. Some weather stations, like ADS-WS1 with new firmware, sends this telemetry value. Please add this value to WX graps on aprs.fi/weather page. I thing that is easy for programming.

73 OK1COM

eHAMnet, s.r.o.
Zapsána v obch. rejstříku Městského soudu v Praze, oddíl C, vložka 147999
Sídlo a kancelář: Údolní 1273/98, Praha 4 - Braník, 142 00
IČ: 28526091 | DIČ: CZ28526091

Heikki Hannikainen

Jan 12, 2015, 1:19:07 AM1/12/15
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 9 Jan 2015, ja...@ehamnet.cz wrote:

> is it possible to add new WX graph for Voltage?
> APRS 1.2 SPEC (http://www.aprs.org/aprs12/weather-new.txt) added new telemetry for Voltage Vxxx. Some
> weather stations, like ADS-WS1 with new firmware, sends this telemetry value. Please add this value to WX
> graps on aprs.fi/weather page. I thing that is easy for programming.

It's not too easy, requires a database schema update, and increases disk
storage use for all weather stations (even those which do not transmit
voltage, i.e. majority of stations). With a large database, and a lot of
users, simple things sometimes become a bit more complicated.

I'd suggest sending non-weather data as regular telemetry packets, instead
of piggybacking random things to weather packets. Telemetry packets allow
you to send whatever data you need to send, without requiring everyone to
update their software in the other end.

aprs.fi is not doing radiation "weather" either, since maybe 2 stations
are transmitting it.

- Hessu