APRS isn't position. It's packet.

Jason Thomas

Mar 13, 2017, 2:14:45 AM3/13/17
to aprs.fi
Just thought everybody should know that the info page lists APRS as automatic positon reporting system. It's actually Automatic Packet Reporting system.
KF7UBC

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

Mar 14, 2017, 10:14:18 AM3/14/17
to aprs.fi
On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 2:14:45 AM UTC-4, Jason Thomas wrote:
Just thought everybody should know that the info page lists APRS as automatic positon reporting system. It's actually Automatic Packet Reporting system.
KF7UBC

I've heard / confirmed at least 3 or 4 different versions of the acronym in the past, but aprs.org does indeed seem to say "Automatic Packet Reporting System" this week.
http://www.aprs.org/doc/APRS101.PDF still calls it "AUTOMATIC POSITION REPORTING SYSTEM".
Still, a few more variants of (Amateur|Automatic) (Packet|Position) (Radio|Reporting) System to try over the next few years, eh?   ;-)
Where do these name changes and protocol updates get discussed / announced? I feel I need to be on another mailing-list
-- Nick VA3NNW

Dustin Sallings

Mar 14, 2017, 11:36:11 AM3/14/17
to aprs.fi
I think aprs.fi is a pretty rad site for information.

Tom Hayward

Mar 14, 2017, 11:58:18 AM3/14/17
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 6:14 AM, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <goo...@noseynick.net> wrote:
> Where do these name changes and protocol updates get discussed / announced?
> I feel I need to be on another mailing-list
> -- Nick VA3NNW

Bob Bruninga announces this kind of thing to the APRSSIG list:

Tom KD7LXL