Icons

Ray

Jun 13, 2017, 3:55:01 AM6/13/17
to aprs.fi
It seems that there is no longer a train symbol in the APRS icons.
Is this an omission, or am I missing something?
Ray

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)

Jun 13, 2017, 7:04:31 AM6/13/17
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Try /=  It's labelled as a "Rail Engine" at http://www.aprs.org/symbols/symbolsX.txt

Ray

Jun 13, 2017, 7:54:26 AM6/13/17
to aprs.fi
Hello Lynn.
Thank you for your response to my query.
I used the /= combination in APRSDroid when I was on the Rocky Mountaineer last year.
That showed the Train Engine as predicted.
Since then, I have updated APRSDroid. The current App does not allow the entry of / and \ functions, instead it shows a page of pictorial icons (much more convenient to select) but the train is not in the icon set.
I reverted at the time to the old APRSDroid version (as you suggest) and tried /= which again showed the train engine in the APRSDroid Hub page, against my call sign, but on APRS.fi, the icon which is displayed is a Snow Tractor, which is the icon which appears in the APRSDroid pictorial icon page, in the position which would have been the Train Engine.
I therefore concluded that this must be a new revised icon set, and that a train is no longer considered a viable medium of transport. Sad really, as I am doing a 5500Km rail trip through Central and Eastern Australia next month and would like to show all modes of travel.
Again, I ask the community, was this an omission?
Ray
VK3SED

Heikki Hannikainen

Jun 13, 2017, 8:05:58 AM6/13/17
to aprs.fi

Hi,

If you transmit /= the train symbol will be shown, like here:
https://aprs.fi/DWORZEC

The symbol index used by aprs.fi is maintained and published here:
https://github.com/hessu/aprs-symbol-index/blob/master/symbols.csv

and the symbol graphics used by aprs.fi are here:
https://github.com/hessu/aprs-symbols

If there's a problem with how it works in APRSDroid, I suggest you to get
in touch with the APRSDroid group:

Thanks!
- Hessu

Ray

Jun 13, 2017, 8:08:26 PM6/13/17
to aprs.fi
G'day Hessu, and thank you for your response.
There is definitely something weird here.
Using both my laptop, and Android Phone, when I click on your first link, I am shown the position of a Snow vehicle, not a Railroad engine as predicted.

When I click on your second link, the list clearly shows the Railroad engine as item 30.

Please note items 27 through 31.
When I click on your third link, I get the aprs.fi symbol set.

Note the circled group of the RHS second top row.
These are items 27 through 31 in the previous list.
The symbol preceding the car, at position 30, is a Snow vehicle, not a Railroad engine.
I cannot see a Railroad engine anywhere in either aprs.fi symbol sets.
What am I missing?
Kind regards,
Ray
VK3SED
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)

Jun 13, 2017, 9:37:26 PM6/13/17
to apr...@googlegroups.com
That's a European train engine.  Hessu's new Icon set looks different than the old (low resolution) standby...

My own APRS clients are soon going to switch over to these as they look MUCH better on high resolution (read: Android) screens.

Ray

Jun 13, 2017, 10:41:30 PM6/13/17
to aprs.fi
Thank you Lynn.
You have successfully pointed out to me what I was missing.
On closer inspection of icon 30, I see a pantograph atop the vehicle. It's an electric train.
Hessu, would it be possible to reinstate a heritage train icon for those traveling on trains other than electric types.
We have a myriad of wheeled vehicles to select from, including sedan cars, SUV's, pickup trucks, School buses, jeeps, Fire trucks, etc, the list goes on, if we are traveling by road.
But for a train, we only have an electric train to display. There are numerous historical or heritage trains to travel on in the world. The Ghan and Indian Pacific rail lines in Australia, and even the humble Puffing Billy here in Melbourne, or the Rocky Mountaineer in Canada, and the White Pass and Yukon line in Alaska. It would be nice if travelers on these Heritage trains could display an icon which differentiates their trip from the run-of-the-mill electric train. The Bullet train in Japan would be an exception.
Could you please consider reintroducing such a heritage train icon.
Thank you to all.
Ray
VK3sed

Fred Hillhouse

Jun 14, 2017, 10:05:42 AM6/14/17
to apr...@googlegroups.com, Ray

There is a single APRS symbol for a train.

http://www.aprs.org/symbols.html

What you are looking at on APRS.FI is Hessu’s new image. The symbols never were meant to be exact representations. How many canoes are brown? And why isn’t there a kayak? And not all dogs look the same.

You could use an older APRS client and see the steam locomotive. But then that would be wrong as well, since many locomotives no longer look like the Jupiter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_(locomotive)

And neither work if the locomotive is a Genesis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Genesis

I bought a red car so it would match the APRS symbol of the red car. If I ever buy a van (yikes!) it will have to be light blue. Maybe the trip should only be on electric trains?

This was all done “tongue in cheek”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

Except for the car, it is a Scion tC in Absolutely Red. I loved the car!

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Heikki Hannikainen

Jun 14, 2017, 1:36:03 PM6/14/17
to aprs.fi

Hi,

Right, like Fred pointed out, the APRS symbol definitions only have a
single train symbol, and the representation of that varies a little bit.
In the new high-resolution symbol set it's an electric one.

Unfortunately there's no black station wagon either to match my car.

It's actually an *awful* *lot* of work for the various software authors to
draw/manage/update these symbols, so it's simply not going to work if we
try to go to such detail, to support all the car and train models and
ages. It's not just about aprs.fi, it's about the dozen or so of other
applications and web sites, and a few hardware radios too, all of those
would need to be updated if we want to show different variants of a train.