Stations heard lists seem to be under reported

Vehemoth Phosbat

Jul 18, 2015, 5:23:34 AM7/18/15
to apr...@googlegroups.com
We have been spending most of the night sitting watching a "direct" (no digis in path) packet come in on radio, go out on IGate, see "Echo from digipeater" confirming IGate did receive, then refresh aprs.fi and it is not there.  Very few of them are actually showing.  Some are reported, and our internet connection seems to be working fine.

When we send a packet on radio, it does usually show up on the list of stations hearing us.  Quite frequently it reaches one or more digis but does not appear on the site.

aprs.fi is very handy for collecting statistics seeing where packets are going.  In raw it shows one remote station a packet has gone.  Can we see a few more?

73° in the fish bowl,
Ro

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)

Jul 18, 2015, 7:17:49 AM7/18/15
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Specific station IDs and timestamps and even packet samples go a long way towards helping us help you.

Remember, the APRS-IS suppresses duplicate packets.  The first IGate to deliver a packet is (usually) the one that propagates and gets "credit" for the gating activity.  Just because you saw your IGate receive a packet, doesn't mean your station was the first to deliver it to the APRS-IS and subsequently to aprs.fi.

The only suitable tool for monitoring local APRS RF activity is one that is directly receiving those packets over the air, not via the APRS-IS.

Vehemoth Phosbat

Jul 26, 2015, 5:54:12 AM7/26/15
to aprs.fi, ldef...@gmail.com
Okay, it all makes sense now.