aprs.fi alert emails function back online

Heikki Hannikainen

Mar 19, 2017, 7:40:15 AM3/19/17
to aprs.fi

Hi,

The alert emails function is now back online. I spent some time fixing
bugs in it during the past week, and I'm hoping it won't go in the "send
an awful lot of repeated emails to the same poor recipient" again.

There are separate settings for:

- send an alert when a station starts transmitting position packets after
a pause of some time (for detecting a station going online)
- send an alert when a station stops transmitting position packets (for
detecting a normally-online station going offline)
- send an alert when an iGate or digipeater stops receiving packets

The last one will also send an alert when the station starts receiving
again, i.e. when the problem is fixed. Due to the way "who received who"
statistics work on the APRS-IS ("not very well") I'd advice setting the
"heard" alert interval to a large value, such as 6, 12 or 24 hours, to
reduce amount of false alerts.

Manage alerts at https://aprs.fi/my/ -> Stations I follow -> Settings

- Hessu

Augusto Bernasconi

Apr 7, 2018, 5:52:27 PM4/7/18
to aprs.fi
Hi Hessu
I spend some time in areas where there are very few APRS users. It would be nice ti get an alert "when any station has been heard within XX km around me"
Do you think its simple ?
Thanks for your help and reply.
Kind regards, LU3AFB

Heikki Hannikainen

May 7, 2018, 2:04:48 AM5/7/18
to aprs.fi
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, Augusto Bernasconi wrote:

> Hi HessuI spend some time in areas where there are very few APRS users. It would be nice ti get an alert
> "when any station has been heard within XX km around me"
> Do you think its simple ?

Hi,

Possible, but not quite simple. For roughly every received packet, aprs.fi
would need to check through all the configured alerts, whether the
position matches one of them. Some optimisations would be needed to make
it run fast when a lot of such alerts are configured (method to look up
alerts which specify an area close to X, with a geohash or something). So,
possible but more work than you'd initially think.

There was a separate web site / service to do that, aprs-alert.net I
think, but it seems to be gone.

- Hessu

Augusto Bernasconi

Jul 24, 2019, 5:39:00 PM7/24/19
to aprs.fi
Correct, aprs-alert.net is not available.
¿Do you know something similar?

Augusto LU3AFB

Jul 13, 2021, 8:06:15 AM7/13/21
to aprs.fi