Something Other than APRS.FI For an Android Device???

Joe

Aug 13, 2015, 8:32:39 PM8/13/15
to apr...@googlegroups.com

<<<<With apologies to Hessu, whose APRS.FI is great>>>>

I have tried and tried to ‘learn’ how to use APRS.fi on my cell phone and Nexus 7 (2013) tablet, and frankly, it is a pain.

I really like APRS.fi, but when on the road……..and in my Samsung S5/Nexus 7 (2013)….a nightmare to use  L

Are any of the programs, like APRSdroid, worth the time and money to install?  Mind you APRS.fi is straightforward and easy to use…on a computer, but not in my phone!

Hessu..you working an Android version??  Want a tester?!!  I’ll volunteer!

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Joe – W7RKN

Reno, Nevada

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)

Aug 13, 2015, 9:59:25 PM8/13/15
to apr...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on a port of my APRSISCE/32 functionality to Android.  It's in probably mid-alpha at this point, but you're welcome to join the APRSISDR Yahoo group.  The .APK can be downloaded from:

http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net/APRSISDR/APRSISMO.apk

I've been using it exclusively on my Samsung S5 for over a year now as KJ4ERJ-12.

Please make sure you join the Yahoo group for support.  I will NOT answer threads discussing the client here on Hessu's list.

Joe

Aug 14, 2015, 12:34:51 AM8/14/15
to apr...@googlegroups.com

OK gang.  I’ve got some good answers, so, let’s end this topic.  Thanks to everyone who responded in list and off list.  My decision is now to go forward and learn something new!  (And at my age, it ain’t easy”!  LOL!)

If Hessu wishes to comment, that’s ok ((GRIN))  after all, it IS his group!

And Hessu, thank you for my slight intrusion!

Joe – W7RKN

From: apr...@googlegroups.com [mailto:apr...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
Subject: Re: [aprsfi] Something Other than APRS.FI For an Android Device???

Kevin Kleinfelter

Aug 17, 2015, 2:07:54 AM8/17/15
to apr...@googlegroups.com
I use APRSdroid, but the only thing I use it for is to beacon my position when I'm within cell coverage.  (I transition to a VX-8GR when I go into the back-country.)  I find APRSdroid adequate for beaconing.  I'm sure it can do many other nice things.
73
Kevin / K4KPK