Paraglider pilots tracking

Steve Wright ZL1BHD

Nov 23, 2014, 6:16:52 PM11/23/14
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

May I gateway the local Paraglider Pilots tracking system to aprs.fi ?

We are trailing an aprs-like system on a VHF SRD frequency, and also testing with aprsdroid.  It is very new and basically not used at all yet.  The traffic would be microscopic.  Callsigns are <country>PG<number> like NZPG6394.  A small group of approachable ham-radio type people are trying to build a fun toy/tool for the Paragliding and Hanggliding community.

Thanks for sharing,
Steve
ZL1BHD

(Radio ham and Paraglider Pilot)

Heikki Hannikainen

Nov 27, 2014, 4:18:24 PM11/27/14
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Steve Wright ZL1BHD wrote:

> May I gateway the local Paraglider Pilots tracking system to aprs.fi ?

You can not gate paraglider traffic to the APRS-IS, because APRS-IS is
specifically meant for amateur radio traffic. Packets from the APRS-IS are
often retransmitted back to amateur frequencies, so we should not put
non-amateur radio traffic there.

You should probably check out http://wiki.glidernet.org/ - they're setting
up their own servers for glider purposes.

I might consider connecting aprs.fi to their servers and collect the data
from there, for displaying on aprs.fi. I'll have to write a little bit of
code to handle the filtering and such separately for that network.

> We are trailing an aprs-like system on a VHF SRD frequency, and also
> testing with aprsdroid.  It is very new and basically not used at all
> yet.  The traffic would be microscopic.  Callsigns are
> <country>PG<number> like NZPG6394.  A small group of approachable
> ham-radio type people are trying to build a fun toy/tool for the
> Paragliding and Hanggliding community.

Hm, maybe 'we' refers to glidernet.org already? :)

- Hessu, ham radio operator and private pilot, OH7LZB-7 tomorrow morning
if weather permits...

Steve Wright ZL1BHD

Dec 20, 2014, 5:34:50 PM12/20/14
to apr...@googlegroups.com
What is the mechanism by which the marine traffic on aprs.fi is blocked from amateur frequencies?

Heikki Hannikainen

Dec 22, 2014, 12:56:22 AM12/22/14
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014, Steve Wright ZL1BHD wrote:

> What is the mechanism by which the marine traffic on aprs.fi is blocked from amateur frequencies?

The AIS data is either directly sent to aprs.fi by AIS receivers
(http://aprs.fi/page/ais_feeding) or passed from MarineTraffic using an
API. It's not transmitted using the APRS protocol, or the APRS-IS network,
and aprs.fi currently doesn't have any code that would enable transmitting
anything to the APRS-IS network.

- Hessu