How to update Normal receiver range estimate?

vk2him

Jan 1, 2017, 6:33:55 AM1/1/17
to aprs.fi
Hi Hessu,

The last range estimate for my station VK2HIM-1 was on 1st May 2016 according to my Station info page however I'm sure it updated every month until recently.

It's currently showing:

Normal receiver range estimate:30 km (Updated: 2016-05-01 09:10:08 AEST)

I installed a new antenna last month and was hoping to see an increase in range - can my station's range be recalculated?
Thanks
Ian vk2him

Heikki Hannikainen

Mar 30, 2017, 4:10:30 PM3/30/17
to aprs.fi

Hi Ian, sorry for the slow reply,
I was just editing the user guide a bit, and bumped into the likely
correct answer to this question:

https://aprs.fi/doc/guide/aprsfi-network-tools.html

"The normal receiver range is updated every few hours when the receiver
has directly heard at least 3000 packets during the month, so that the
estimate is somewhat accurate. This causes the estimate to stop updating
for the beginning of the month (until 3000 packets are heard)."

I'm suspecting, maybe aprs.fi didn't get 3000 packets per month from your
igate with the old antenna for a while. Now it seems to be updating, last
update just 20 minutes ago:

https://aprs.fi/info/VK2HIM-1

- Hessu

vk2him