Help with Iphone 5S App Setup: Various Issues

Daniel Hazen

Oct 7, 2016, 2:08:05 AM10/7/16
to aprs.fi
Since the aprs.fi user guide is temporarily offline and it is difficult to search for specific items, I ask for help here.

I am going to Japan in a few days with Japanese callsign JI1OMU.  My USA callsign is N0BN, and I use that callsign as well as SSIDs N0BN-1 and N0BN-2.

I downloaded the aprs.fi app for my Iphone 5S with callsign N0BN.

When I search for N0BN-1 on the app map, my position is the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  Since I didn't manually enter any latitude and longitude position, I don't know how that is possible or how to fix it.

When I search for N0BN-1 on the aprs.fi website, I get a choice of N0BN-1 from either driving around with my GPS yesterday, or my current position today (apparently beaconed from my Iphone).

I don't see any way to add the second callsign JI1OMU.  I would like to use SSID JI1OMU/N0BN if possible.

None of this is explained in the Help section on the Iphone app and the aprs.fi user guide is "temporarily offline".

Sorry if I should have found this but I haven't!

Thanks!

73 de Daniel N0BN

P.S. I am also posting this request to the Yahoo Group.

Heikki Hannikainen

Oct 7, 2016, 3:18:36 AM10/7/16
to aprs.fi

Hello,

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016, Daniel Hazen wrote:

> Since the aprs.fi user guide is temporarily offline and it is difficult to search for specific items, I ask for help here.

The old user guide was written for the aprs.fi web site, before the iOS
app existed, so it didn't have anything about the app yet.

I have some bits and pieces of the user guide backed up, I should recreate
the content in another format soon.

Let's take the last question first:

> I don't see any way to add the second callsign JI1OMU.  I would like to
> use SSID JI1OMU/N0BN if possible.

The iOS app does not yet support configuring multiple callsigns. In the
mean time, you can add them on the web site:

http://aprs.fi/my/

Under the "My web stations" headline, click "Add new station", enter
"JI1OMU-iphone" for the name, Data source: aprs.fi, leave "Remote user ID"
empty. The new station will appear in the iOS app, and can be selected in
use in the beacon view.

I would not recommend using a '/' in the station name, that may cause some
difficulties later on.

> I downloaded the aprs.fi app for my Iphone 5S with callsign N0BN.
>
> When I search for N0BN-1 on the app map, my position is the middle of
> the Pacific Ocean.  Since I didn't manually enter any latitude and
> longitude position, I don't know how that is possible or how to fix it.

Is this still happening for you? The positions for N0BN-1 seem correct
now, neither of them is in an ocean. It might have been a bad GPS fix that
got corrected after a while.

> When I search for N0BN-1 on the aprs.fi website, I get a choice of
> N0BN-1 from either driving around with my GPS yesterday, or my current
> position today (apparently beaconed from my Iphone).

Yep, on the iOS app, when searching for N0BN it does show two entries for
N0BN-1 too. The logic here is that the information from the APRS radio
network is not mixed with information coming from the iOS app. This
prevents other users of the iOS app from accidentally or intentionally
messing up the APRS data transmitted from the Kenwood radio in your car.

> P.S. I am also posting this request to the Yahoo Group.

Which Yahoo group? I don't read any yahoo groups myself, so please post
any aprs.fi questions here. Thank you!

- Hessu

Daniel Hazen

Oct 8, 2016, 12:01:04 AM10/8/16
to aprs.fi
Thank you, Hessu.  You were very helpful

The primary purpose for using this app right now is so my Dad Glen N8WE can track me better while I'm in Japan and so I don't have to mess around with my Kenwood HT and Garmin GPS.

I changed my Web Station information to simply use JI1OMU as my name and putting my US callsign under comments.  The APRS symbol is still "Human" as I will be walking a lot and otherwise mostly using trains to get around.

I deleted N0BN-1 for now so as not to create confusion with my mobile SSID, and it isn't needed in Japan anyway.

I set JI1OMU as my default web station although since I only have one, I am not sure that is necessary.  Please let me know if I should change that.

Thank you again.

73 de Daniel N0BN/JI1OMU

P.S. I was referring to the Yahoo APRS group.  I haven't received any advice from there yet.

Daniel Hazen

Oct 11, 2016, 5:42:37 AM10/11/16
to apr...@googlegroups.com
I sorry but I have one more question. I have max beacon set for 15 minutes but does app beacon automatically?  How to set that up or turn it off?  Thanks!
73 Daniel

Tim Gennett

Oct 11, 2016, 5:57:33 AM10/11/16
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Does the aprs.fi iPhone ap now support beaconing?

Tim K9WX

Heikki Hannikainen

Oct 11, 2016, 7:19:03 AM10/11/16
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 11 Oct 2016, Tim Gennett wrote:

> Does the aprs.fi iPhone ap now support beaconing?

It does support beaconing to aprs.fi. It has done that since the first
version. Does not transmit to APRS-IS yet, though.

- Hessu

Heikki Hannikainen

Oct 11, 2016, 7:21:14 AM10/11/16
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 8 Oct 2016, Daniel Hazen wrote:

> I sorry but I have one more question. I have max beacon set for 15
> minutes but does app beacon automatically?  How to set that up or turn
> it off?  Thanks!73 Daniel

It should, but it appears that if the interval slider is set to anything
else than the minimum value (fastest interval), it may always not beacon
in the background; for some reason iOS stops providing the position to the
app. I'm still trying to figure out how to make that work nicely.

- Hessu