iPhone APRS.fi app

Ronald Callahan

Apr 7, 2017, 12:10:32 AM4/7/17
to aprs.fi
Is this app a 64 bit app? After iOS 11 comes out it will not support 32 bit app's

Ron N2RON

Heikki Hannikainen

Apr 7, 2017, 12:47:28 AM4/7/17
to aprs.fi
On Thu, 6 Apr 2017, Ronald Callahan wrote:

> Is this app a 64 bit app? After iOS 11 comes out it will not support 32 bit app's

Yes, of course.

The app is built as an universal binary with both 32- and 64-bit code in
the build. Thanks to app thinning performed by the App Store, each device
will only download either the 32- or 64-bit code, as necessary for the CPU
on that device.

Slicing works for graphics too, so older low-resolution devices will not
need to download the double- and triple-resolution graphics that are
available for Retina and Retina HD (iPhone 6) displays. This saves a lot
of download time and storage space on the device.

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/AppThinning/AppThinning.html

- Hessu

David Andrzejewski

Apr 7, 2017, 8:46:37 AM4/7/17
to apr...@googlegroups.com
General note - if it were a 32-bit app, your phone will pop up a warning
when you start it that "This app may slow down your iPhone."
--

David Andrzejewski
E-mail/iMessage/Jabber: da...@davidandrzejewski.com

signature.asc

Ronald Callahan

Apr 9, 2017, 4:10:35 PM4/9/17
to aprs.fi
App will only TX to fi will not TX to realAPRS for Ham radio also in help file they said they're going to a subscription-based says nothing about this when purchased will be asking for a refund very disappointing

Ron N2RON

Heikki Hannikainen

Apr 9, 2017, 5:18:06 PM4/9/17
to aprs.fi

Hello,

On Sat, 8 Apr 2017, Ronald Callahan wrote:

> App will only TX to fi will not TX to real APRS for Ham radio

Correct, APRS-IS connectivity (messaging, beaconing) is not yet done. Some
of the code necessary to do that is already written and I've had some
testing beacons going through, but it still needs quite a bit more work.

> also in help file they said they're going to a subscription-based says
> nothing about this when purchased will be asking for a refund very
> disappointing

If you feel that the app does not meet your expectations, and of course,
if it does not do what it promises to do in the application description
(https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aprs-fi/id922155038), you can
naturally request a refund from the reseller (Apple iTunes). The
application's author can not trigger the process from this side. The
process is described here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204084

I'd also like to clarify some things about the subscription plan:

*Some* of the *new* functions that are added in the future will only be
usable if an additional yearly subscription is paid. *All* current
features, and *many* of the future features will not require subscription
- this is only fair, and also regulated by the Apple iTunes contracts. The
app will continue to work as before and also get some new features for
free.

The yearly price for the *optional* subscription will be smallish, smaller
than the purchase price.

The reasons behind this plan are quite simple:

1. People have been asking me to implement several rather large new
features, which will take substantial work to get going. Many have
specifically stated, in writing, "I'd pay more / a subscription fee if I
could have this feature". The amount of work needed is easily on the scale
of many weeks or couple months of full day-time work, and I'll probably
have to take some holiday / unpaid leave from work if I want to get those
done.

If you haven't tried yourself, it's easy to underestimate the time it
takes to create apps like this. I've written plenty of free software for
the APRS community, and you get the web site for free, so please don't get
terribly upset if I ask for the price of a pint of beer for the app. :)

(a pint of beer in Finland, although the 30% Apple Tax and Finnish taxes
drink over half of that pint already)

2. There are only so many APRS-using amateur radio operators out there,
who are also using iPhones or iPads - Android devices are apparently much
more popular amongst hams. Pretty soon everyone who will ever buy the app
has done so. At that point the income from new app purchases will end!

However, I'll need to keep working for years to keep the app working for
you; to update the app to meet new iOS versions and their mandatory new
features (iOS versions 11, 12, 13; 64- 96- and 128-bit processors, yearly
new display resolutions and dimensions, force touch and smell sensors,
etc). Every year Apple comes up with a few new things which *force*
changing the app to just keep it working nicely. I'll also need to keep my
servers running over here 24/7/365, otherwise it'll stop working right
there.

So, I'd very much like to have something that's called a sustainable
business model. In other words, some monetary reward flowing in for all
that work that goes in the app in the future, too. That's where a
subscription model for additional features will hopefully help!

- Hessu

Ron Callahan Jr.

Apr 9, 2017, 6:28:15 PM4/9/17
to aprs.fi
I don't mine paying for someone's work that's why I had no problem paying for your app but, I was under the impression it sent it out over APRS-IS and also to APRS-fi and would have some way of sending APRS messages that was all I really needed for me. It does not say what features would be the subscription based.

Ron

Heikki Hannikainen

Apr 9, 2017, 6:55:43 PM4/9/17
to aprs.fi

Hi,

Right, that is understandable; you are not the first one to expect APRS-IS
connectivity from the start, although it is not listed as a feature. The
aprs.fi app simply started as a way to make aprs.fi, the web site, work
smoothly on the iPhone, and I believe it does that pretty OK right now -
two-way connectivity is getting added on top as I find the time to work on
it.

I've tried to keep the text in the application description clear - it does
not mention APRS-IS, and says specifically that it beacons to aprs.fi, and
it does not list messaging as a feature, since it does not do that yet.
(https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aprs-fi/id922155038)

The application description text should not make promises on future
functionality, it really needs to describe what the apps does now.

The subscription model is not implemented yet, messaging code is not there
although I've started working on it. I'd prefer not to commit to a
specific subscription / features model until I've tested and tried a few
alternatives. Feedback and ideas are, of course, welcome.
> --

- Hessu