export question

Dustin Sallings

Nov 28, 2016, 5:34:17 PM11/28/16
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just completed a long drive and wanted to see some of my data that bounced through APRS.  I wasn't smart enough to start logging my own interesting data from APRS-IS, but I know that there's a lot available on aprs.fi (and possibly other sites).

The aprs.fi export seems quite limited -- only showing position and time.  I'm quite interested in how I was gated.  Is any of this data available?  Raw data only seems to be there for two days, which is unfortunate.

Kenneth Merian

Nov 29, 2016, 1:50:41 PM11/29/16
to aprs.fi
Dustin, if you go to your info page on aprs.fi  you will see a section titled "Stations which heard ****** directly on radio "
If you set it to the month of your trip you should get a list of the digipeaters and igates that heard you.  Not much but it should be interesting.

Bob Stephens AF9W

Nov 29, 2016, 1:51:09 PM11/29/16
to apr...@googlegroups.com

Easiest method is to use http://www.findu.com/cgi.html . Lots of ways to download the data.

Bob AF9W

Heikki Hannikainen

Nov 29, 2016, 2:01:01 PM11/29/16
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Raw data is there for a bit longer than two days nowadays, it keeps some
40000000 raw packets in total.

For gating, there's the info page, which shows a summary. And then, on the
map, you can hover the mouse cursor (not on tablets / touch interfaces
though) over track points and it'll draw a line via the digipeaters to the
igate for that position.

Since the APRS-IS already suppresses duplicate packets, and since the APRS
packet formats and path processing was not designed with this in mind, the
statistics are often informative and interesting, but never perfect, and
always miss some data. Do a search for "heard statistics" on the group
archive for more discussion on this.

- Hessu

Dustin Sallings

Nov 29, 2016, 3:20:37 PM11/29/16
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I looked and found that it had already lost some of my trip.  I should've been grabbing it earlier.

I'm not concerned about knowing exactly who all heard me, but just having an idea of where I was and wasn't heard would be good.  i do know that there was a pretty big chunk of desert I drove through where I was hearing APRS, but never got gated.

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)

Nov 29, 2016, 3:38:08 PM11/29/16
to apr...@googlegroups.com
If all you want to know is where you went, use the year tabs to go directly to any given month and day for a given callsign-SSID.  And I just learned that the left/right arrows next to the miniature calendar move to the previous or next day!

This is a most excellent feature of aprs.fi that I use quite often after traveling vacations and other trips.

The only suggestion to Hessu might be to have the Show last" and Track tail length: dropdowns change to 24 hours before disabling when displaying this historical track information.

Dustin Sallings

Nov 29, 2016, 4:31:48 PM11/29/16
to apr...@googlegroups.com
I didn't know how to use findu.  The guide was helpful.  I found only about half of what I've since seen elsewhere, though.

I didn't realize you could do this per-day thing.  Thanks, Lynn.  That is also quite helpful.