Someone is bootlegging my call sign

K7EK

Jan 30, 2017, 1:56:17 PM1/30/17
to aprs.fi

Someone appears to have hijacked my call sign. I run with K7EK at my home location. The software is YAAC. I always use a little yellow house (VHF)
for the icon . In my mobile, I run with K7EK-7 and always use a red truck icon.  The bootlegger is using K7EK with a red car icon, replacing the real
K7EK on the map.  I might add that the perpetrator appears to be coming in via the internet. He's changed my status information as well, and included
the URL http://www.aprstrack.com. I never use a red car, only a red truck, and only with K7EK-7. My map icon for the home station should be a yellow
house.  Can someone assist with how to alleviate this problem?   I don't know how long this has been going on. On my YAAC map I see my yellow
house icon. I double checked my YAAC configuration and the yellow house is in there. I do not think it is a malfunction of the home station software.
I believe it to be a deliberate hijacking. That becomes pretty evident when one looks at the raw packets of K7EK with the red car. Thanks for reading.

Best regards,

Gary E. Kohtala - K7EK

Radcliff, KY (EM77)

K7EK

Jan 30, 2017, 2:12:47 PM1/30/17
to aprs.fi
Hmmmm. I did some experimentation. I changed the status text in YAAC. That new text appeared when I clicked the K7EK red car icon. So I guess it is a malfunction in YAAC. I have executed several YAAC autoupdates and perhaps something went wrong as a result. I will put forth this issue with the folks
that wrote YAAC and see what they come up with. This has to be one of the strangest things I've seen lately. Why would aprs.fi interpret the yellow house
(VHF) icon as a red car?  Thanks for reading, and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. I will further check this out and hopefully get to the bottom of it.

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)

Jan 30, 2017, 2:13:58 PM1/30/17
to apr...@googlegroups.com
I'm only seeing status packets from K7EK, apparently a YAAC instance (>APJYC1).  The last posit for this station recorded at aprs.fi was over 7 days ago.  I suspect that if you enable position beaconing your YAAC instance, the problem will correct itself as the "other" K7EK is not actively beaconing.

Note that there may have never been a pirate, but the red car may have resulted from a concatenated packet at some point in the past.

Gary - K7EK

Jan 30, 2017, 2:53:57 PM1/30/17
to apr...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for that suggestion. As I indicated in my followup message, I checked my YAAC configuration and changed the status text to something unique. Bingo.. It showed up for the red car K7EK icon.  I then enabled position reporting as you suggested. That solved the problem. You were right on the money. Thanks very much for your help.. I never would have gotten this fixed.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

PS: I have played with your APRSISCE for Windows32. It is pretty nice. Maybe one day I will master its operation and run that instead of YAAC.