Database check, generate response

Jeff

Aug 20, 2015, 10:12:13 AM8/20/15
to Apps User Group
Hi, I am trying to find a soolution for the following:

I have a certain database with customers which I would like to update, since it is outdated.
I was wondering whether this is possible with google forms/sheets.

The idea is to create a form from an existing database and send this to customers, Customer will be presented with questions for example: is your phone number still (get the number from the existing database). If customer sais yes this is still my phonenumber, new sheet will be created and the correct phone number will be written, and so on and so on.

So i need to:

 - Be able to load exisisting database  into a form
 - Somehow show what is in database in a form to a receiver
 - Create a new sheet from the input from the form
 - Somehow make this all automated

If any one has any ideas, or can guide mo to the right info, it would be great.

Thank a lot in advance,

Christian Long

Aug 24, 2015, 12:30:28 PM8/24/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

While I am not familiar with anything that would be a complete solution for you, here's what I would recommend as a work around.

You could use Yet Another Mail Merge to pull in customer's current information and send an email to the customer with all current information you have on file. Should anything not be current or they need to update, you can link a form with "questions" where the customer can complete only the information that needs updating. Using the email address as a unique identifier, you should be able to then just run a formula in your spreadsheet or database to pull over the new info.

While it is not fully automated, I think it is an option for you rather than having customers fully complete their info again.

Good luck - if you find any other options, I'd be interested in hearing them!

Christian Long
eLearning & Admin. Support
Oak Hills Local School District

" Technology should do the hard work so that people can get on doing the things that make them happiest in life. "
~ Larry Page

Tom Donovan

Aug 24, 2015, 5:25:19 PM8/24/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
To piggyback on Christian's suggestion, take a look at the add-ons available from New Visions Cloud Lab:  http://cloudlab.newvisions.org/  You might well be able to put together a decent solution using a couple of them.

From a completely different direction, take a look at Airtable.  Airtable is the database that Google should have created to include in GApps.  While not really designed for the kind of public-facing task you describe, they have an API which means the sky's the limit.  Read through their blog for some good descriptions of various features.

--
Tom Donovan
Chief Technology Officer

Test Test

Sep 3, 2015, 8:31:50 AM9/3/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom, thanks a lot, I will definately try this and report back.

Jeff