Alternatives for the Clearly readability extension

Eric Curts

Jan 21, 2016, 8:59:10 AM1/21/16
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
For years one of my favorite Chrome extensions has been Clearly from Evernote. It is a simple readability extension that cleans up a web page you are reading by removing ads, comments, backgrounds, and all other distracting images and elements, leaving only the core content of the page in an easy to read format. The extension is especially useful for students to help them focus on what they are reading when websites can be full of so many distractions.

Unfortunately it is being discontinued and January 22nd. So I have put together a blog post and short video explaining four other Chrome extensions that perform a similar function. You can get the info here:

If you are aware of other readability tools for students, please share those as well.

Take care!

Eric

* Access all my Google resources here: www.controlaltachieve.com/resources

* Eric Curts

* eric...@gmail.com

* Google+ - Click here

* Twitter - twitter.com/ericcurts

* Facebook - www.facebook.com/ericcurts

www.ericcurts.com

JP Connolly

Jan 21, 2016, 9:08:41 AM1/21/16
to appsus...@googlegroups.com

I personally use and like Pocket (getpocket.com) which has a perfectly fine free version and Google Apps sign in. It's a clipper but it works well, but if you're looking for something to re render pages on the fly it might be too many clicks away.

Zach Saucier

Oct 27, 2016, 2:06:40 PM10/27/16
to Apps User Group
I maintain an open-source readability extension for Chrome called Just Read. It has a lot of features like user selection mode, customizable stylesheets, and deletion mode and is available in the Chrome store: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/just-read/dgmanlpmmkibanfdgjocnabmcaclkmod