docs appearing in drive

emilyw

May 8, 2014, 3:14:44 PM5/8/14
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
I have a few students with spreadsheets they did not create appearing in their drive.
 The spreadsheet is created by anonymous, but the owner is the student. And it is in their drive folder, not shared with me. Then it is a live form with over 1000 entries from 2012 until I turned it off.
It is really unusual, and Google's support suggestion is to turn off outside sharing, but I don't really want to have to do that, since my students share some documents with parents. Or that students can change this setting on their drive settings, which I can't seem to find a setting that will not allow an outside doc.
The only thing I can think of is something like a Doctopus script is being used to create spam.
Any ideas about what could be causing this, and how to stop it?
thanks in advance
~ Emily Waldal
Birchwood School

Beth Krolak

May 8, 2014, 4:09:02 PM5/8/14
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if a student has their login information and has created the sheets or if the student forgot to log off a device and another student created them within the first student's account?

Thanks,
Beth

---
Beth Krolak
District Technology Coordinator
Bowling Green City Schools, Ohio

smo...@information-solutions.net

May 8, 2014, 6:11:58 PM5/8/14
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Also you would want to see what account the "Drive" application is
connected to. I think that's under Drive Preferences.

You would need to disconnect drive from one account and then re-connect it
to the next account.

I think Drive is difficult when people share a computer--because you are
using multiple Google accounts and it is very confusing even for an IT
person. You have to "clean out" the drive folder on the computer also
when switching accounts because the Drive folder can only contain docs
from one account at a time.

Suzette Moskwa

Lisa Nash

Mar 25, 2015, 6:41:24 AM3/25/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Hi Emily
I realise you may have solved this but as I just came across this I thought I would offer our answer when we had the same problem in our schools in case it helps someone else.  What we found was that is was related to the students using a Google Site template that had an embedded form in it.  Seemingly when your Site is created using a public template, any embedded Google Spreadsheets, Documents and SpreadsheetForms are also copied to your account. If you are the site creator, you can find these newly-created assets in your Documents listing.
Not good as we found some of the spreadsheets contained inappropriate material.  So we recommend that our students do not use the Google Site public templates.
Regards
Lisa