Google Doc Customized Comments Question

Ron Hillman

Sep 5, 2015, 8:36:57 PM9/5/15
to Apps User Group
When giving feedback to my students in Docs I find I often use the same 10-12 comments for the majority of my students.  Is there a way I could "store" those comments for quick insertion to the comment box.  I guess in a perfect world I would customize my comments and then click a hot key or pick from a menu which comments I want to put in.. It would save me an enormous amount of time.

Jesse Thorstad

Sep 5, 2015, 8:52:13 PM9/5/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Maybe keep those "canned" comments in a Google Keep note (keep.google.com) and have Keep open in a tab. Bounce over to it, copy what you want, and paste in the doc. ?

On Saturday, September 5, 2015, Ron Hillman <rhil...@udsd.org> wrote:
When giving feedback to my students in Docs I find I often use the same 10-12 comments for the majority of my students.  Is there a way I could "store" those comments for quick insertion to the comment box.  I guess in a perfect world I would customize my comments and then click a hot key or pick from a menu which comments I want to put in.. It would save me an enormous amount of time.

The information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged and confidential and intended only for the use of the individual(s) and/or entity(ies) named above. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the e-mail materials is strictly prohibited. The review of this material by any individual other than the intended recipient shall not constitute voluntary disclosure of the information. If you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender.  Thank you.

William Berry

Sep 5, 2015, 8:53:54 PM9/5/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com

will get to u soon

sean williams

Sep 5, 2015, 8:59:51 PM9/5/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Just go to "Preferences" and add your comments and assign them a keystroke -
Inline image 1

Ron Hillman

Sep 5, 2015, 9:49:13 PM9/5/15
to Apps User Group
I really appreciate the quick response.  It seems like that works if I want to put the comment in the body of the document but it doesn't seem to recognize it if I enter it in the "comment" box.  Is there a way I can work around that?

Ron Hillman
UDHS - English Department
AP Language & Composition

Charlie Gerancher I Steckel Elementary School

Sep 6, 2015, 5:56:35 AM9/6/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
I don't know of a way to do this other than to store some canned responses somewhere and copy/paste them. However, this sounds like a job for feedback to Google requesting this a s a new feature!  The only other answers I can thing of are:

1. Maybe there is or could be an extension for this job
2. Maybe one could write or enlist someone to see if it's possible to write some Google script to make it happen.
3. Check with script master Bjorn Behrentd to see if he knows of any script that could be written to accomplish it.

Charlie

Charlie Gerancher | Technology Instructor | Technology Integration Coach | Steckel Elementary School

 610.435.1521 X3124 | * geran...@whitehallcoplay.org

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 8:36 PM, Ron Hillman <rhil...@udsd.org> wrote:
When giving feedback to my students in Docs I find I often use the same 10-12 comments for the majority of my students.  Is there a way I could "store" those comments for quick insertion to the comment box.  I guess in a perfect world I would customize my comments and then click a hot key or pick from a menu which comments I want to put in.. It would save me an enormous amount of time.

Tom Donovan

Sep 6, 2015, 8:33:11 AM9/6/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
If you're a Mac user, check out TextExpander.

-Tom

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Ron Hillman <rhil...@udsd.org> wrote:

When giving feedback to my students in Docs I find I often use the same 10-12 comments for the majority of my students.  Is there a way I could "store" those comments for quick insertion to the comment box.  I guess in a perfect world I would customize my comments and then click a hot key or pick from a menu which comments I want to put in.. It would save me an enormous amount of time.

Colleen Tegeler

Sep 6, 2015, 9:14:54 AM9/6/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com

This is an email I sent out to my staff last year. I haven't checked to see if this add on is still available this year, and I don't have access to a computer this weekend (only my phone).  Worth a try!

This add- on might be useful if you find yourself saying the same things over and over to students on their papers/Google Docs.  It is called Clipboard.  It allows you to have a set of canned responses that you create off to the right so you can copy and paste from them with ease.  The canned responses will be available to you in any doc you open up.

A short tutorial can be found below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH02mA_HpEs

Karen Chichester

Sep 6, 2015, 11:20:32 PM9/6/15
to Apps User Group
I keep my comments in a Google Sheet, organized by subject. I open it in another tab and copy and paste from there. I've done it this way for years and it still works.

Karen Chichester

William Berry

Sep 7, 2015, 6:28:49 AM9/7/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com

Dats ok

On Sep 7, 2015 4:20 AM, "Karen Chichester" <karench...@gmail.com> wrote:
I keep my comments in a Google Sheet, organized by subject. I open it in another tab and copy and paste from there. I've done it this way for years and it still works.

Karen Chichester

Bjorn Behrendt

Sep 7, 2015, 8:51:59 AM9/7/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com

Let me see if I can whip something up.

Bjorn Behrendt
http://www.EdListen.com/

Ron Hillman

Sep 7, 2015, 9:17:19 AM9/7/15
to Apps User Group
50,000 English teachers across the U.S. would be in your debt. :-)

Ron Hillman
UDHS - English Department
AP Language & Composition

Bjorn Behrendt

Sep 9, 2015, 12:44:24 PM9/9/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Intead of waiting for me to create something (which I would still like to do), have you looked at the GradeingHelp add-on: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gradinghelp/jgofgelgllpcgmcfklmploglihiecbco?utm_source=permalink

Bjorn Behrendt M.Ed ~ Never Stop Learning

Ron Hillman

Sep 9, 2015, 1:36:10 PM9/9/15
to Apps User Group
I'll check it out... Honestly I am sure it's easier said than done but all I really need is preferences to work in the comments section, or perhaps a way to have a menu of choices I could pick from that pop into the comment section..... this looks a little more robust than I need but I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for reaching out and finding this... don't give up on whipping something up :-)

Aly Kenee

Sep 9, 2015, 1:51:51 PM9/9/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to see voice to text now, but my ace in the whole would be for Google to support recorded audio comments attached to text. Right now, I can add a quick text comment (example 1, 2, 3...) and then below the essay, I list those numbers and place my voice-to-text audio comments behind each one. It's not as slick as I wish, and I have to correct mis-heard words. Yes, I know I could use Kaizena or GradingHelp, but what I really, really want is for Google to build this feature directly into Drive.

Aly Kenee
English Teacher and Technology Integration Coach
York Suburban High School

This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying, distributing, or disseminating it in any way, and notify the sender by reply email.

Aly Kenee

Sep 9, 2015, 1:52:35 PM9/9/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
HOLE. Not whole. Gracious.

Aly Kenee
English Teacher and Technology Integration Coach
York Suburban High School

Sep 10, 2015, 8:59:57 AM9/10/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
I played with this last night.   There is no way to insert a comment via a script.   This means it would have to be a different approach.   How would it be if the add-on allowed you to insert canned comments, and a button just copied the one you wanted to the clipboard, and then it could be pasted into a comment.   So, Click => comment => paste.

Bjorn Behrendt M.Ed ~ Never Stop Learning

Karen Chichester

Sep 11, 2015, 2:53:10 PM9/11/15
to Apps User Group
That would be better than the mess I have now!

Ron Hillman

Sep 12, 2015, 4:52:56 AM9/12/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
So as a user I'd create a list of possible comments before hand then as I worked my way through the students work I could select from that list. Those selections would move to a clipboard and then I'd move the comments into the comment box. Seems more efficient then now for sure. That would be nice.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Apps User Group" group.

Ron Hillman
UDHS - English Department
AP Language & Composition

Ron Hillman

Sep 30, 2015, 10:00:03 AM9/30/15
to Apps User Group
Any luck tinkering around with a way to customize comments?  I am sure your busy so no worries if not... thought I'd check in..

Regards,

Ron

Ron Hillman
UDHS - English Department
AP Language & Composition

Bjorn Behrendt

Sep 30, 2015, 10:50:37 AM9/30/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
I got distracted by some work scripts I need to do.  Snyc classroom script and a transfer ownership one.  Just keep reminding me.

Bjorn Behrendt M.Ed ~ Never Stop Learning

Ron Hillman

Sep 30, 2015, 10:55:53 AM9/30/15
to Apps User Group
as long as you don't see it as annoying ... I am the same way with my students... I tell them to keep reminding me if I don't have it done yet.. thx again

Bjorn Behrendt

Sep 30, 2015, 12:02:39 PM9/30/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
here is what I have started (it is not a working copy):

Basically I need to make it save the comments per user, and find a way to make them easy to copy to the clipboard.   If anyone wants I would be happy to co-author.

Bjorn Behrendt M.Ed ~ Never Stop Learning

Ron Hillman

Oct 2, 2015, 3:27:44 PM10/2/15
to Apps User Group
Hi,

I looked at your suggestion about Gradinghelp add-on.  The functionality is perfect... it's simply the content (the specific comments) aren't what I focus on... In fact the comments change depending on the assignment.  SO those exact mechanics are what I (as well as most English teachers) who use GAFE would need, with the ability to create your own customized comments.  Again, it's worth the wait... I am sure it will be great.. Thanks for keeping this on the stove somewhere...

Ron Hillman

Bjorn Behrendt

Oct 7, 2015, 8:58:41 AM10/7/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Someone was asking about the same functionality in another listserv.    One of the respondents found the Chrome Extension permanent clipboard.   It works the same way that I was thinking about for an add-on, but nicer in that it works out side a document.

Bjorn Behrendt M.Ed ~ Never Stop Learning

Ron Hillman

Oct 7, 2015, 11:12:07 AM10/7/15
to Apps User Group
That looks perfect... I'll play around with it in game situations but it looks exactly what I need... Thanks...

Kenneth Griswold

Oct 13, 2015, 8:36:45 AM10/13/15
to Apps User Group
Check out Kevin Brookhouser's awesome solution.   http://grmr.me/    He has created short instructional videos/pages for common errors and created a short url.  So, for example, adding grmr.me/csp in the comments links to the page on comma splices.   This site is free to use.

ankitde...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2015, 9:29:53 AM10/13/15
to Apps User Group
because today you will find followers not exploreres