Tuesday Gmail Tip - Canned responses in Gmail

Reaz Shaheed

Sep 29, 2015, 2:33:54 AM9/29/15

Canned responses in Gmail lets you compose replies to common messages you may receive, and saves them for future use. In just a few clicks, you can insert one of your pre-written replies, allowing you to tackle the messages that you might normally read and forget to answer when you have a free moment.

Here's how to use Gmail canned responses:

Step 1: Login to your school-Gmail account and  click the cog in the top right-hand corner and choose Settings

Step 2: Switch to the Labs tab in the Settings area. Fill in the Enable bubble next to Canned Responses. Click Save changes at the bottom of the page.

Step 3: Click Compose and start writing one of the replies you want to save.

Step 4: When you're finished, click the small arrow in the bottom right-hand corner and choose Canned responses > New canned response. Give the response a name so you can easily identify it.

​​​

Step 5: To insert your canned response, click Reply on a message, click the small arrow again, then choose Canned response > [name of the response you want to use].

Canned responses can be used for more than writing an email reply;

you can also use them to change signatures on the fly.

This is helpful if you have a work signature that doesn't need to be sent to friends and family, or if you don't want to share all of your attached info with a new contact.

Please feel free to contact Tech support if you need any assistance.

Thanks,

Reaz Shaheed

Director Information Technology

Megan D'Errico

Feb 4, 2016, 5:35:57 PM2/4/16
to Apps User Group
Hi, I followed the instructions and set up Canned Responses under settings. When I compose a draft and go to save it, no pop up window asks me what to save it as. Then when I go back into the Canned Responses tab there are no saved messages.
Does this lab not work with other labs simultaneously running?

Thanks,

Megan

Nichole Gladky

Feb 4, 2016, 5:39:54 PM2/4/16
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Try adding a subject line to the draft email, then click new canned response.

Bill Shafer

Feb 4, 2016, 9:10:43 PM2/4/16
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Megan,
I use and love canned responses.  After you compose your canned response draft, in the lower right there is a dropdown, next to the trash can.  When you choose that you should see Canned responses.  Mine has a right arrow indicating there is another menu.  Follow the menu to 3 choices, "insert", "save", and "delete".  I would say that's a bit confusing, but choose save the first time to save your response, and of course insert for when you start a new compose and want to insert your previously saved on and delete obvious.  Play with it a bit and you'll find it is easier than it seems at first.

...hope this helps.

Bill Shafer

My Blog