Odd Request

Bob Green

Feb 27, 2015, 9:08:56 AM2/27/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Long story short...my task is to have an e-mail generated with the file when a new document appears in a Google Drive folder.  Instead of accessing the folder where the file resides, they want an e-mail generated with the file attached.  Typically this would be a PDF file that is scanned.  I tried to have our network printer send an e-mail but it fails every time in sending.  I can connect to the server just fine through the test connection but the actual act of sending the e-mail fails.

Does any one know how this could be done or know of a script out there that already does this?

Bob

Learn more about OAPCS on our website or follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Wurdock, Tom

Feb 27, 2015, 12:41:13 PM2/27/15
to appsusergroup
You could write an apps script to do it. Initially, parse the contents of the folder with script and save the doc IDs in a spreadsheet.

Then have a script that parses the folder and checks IDs against the spreadsheet and if they don't exist, send an email with the doc. Then it adds that ID to the sheet. The sheet tracks 'processed' docs.

With triggers, this can only be scheduled to run once per hour but you could trigger the script in other ways (if it's a web app)

Tom

Tom Wurdock
Senior Web Developer

ITS