Can I install Appscale on Windows 7

Adewole Ogunyadeka

Dec 15, 2014, 12:03:48 PM12/15/14
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I have been trying to install Appscale on my windows, there doesnt seem to be a way. I have virtual box already installed.

Navraj Chohan

Dec 15, 2014, 12:07:31 PM12/15/14
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hello Adewole,
This should work given you can run vagrant and virtualbox. I would recommend the following instructions:

If you cannot get it to work with vagrant, you can also download the VirtualBox image from http://downloads.appscale.com and start the image using the VirtualBox GUI. Once the image has started, log into the virtual machine and follow the instructions on running the tools:

Thanks,
Raj

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Adewole Ogunyadeka <1308...@brookes.ac.uk> wrote:
Hi all, I have been trying to install Appscale on my windows, there doesnt seem to be a way. I have virtual box already installed.

Navraj Chohan (Raj), PhD
Co-Founder of AppScale Systems
A Google Cloud Partner,
Gartner 2014 Cool Vendor,
and a GigaOm Structure/LaunchPad "Best of the Best" Startups

615 State Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
r...@appscale.com
http://navrajchohan.com

Adewole Ogunyadeka

Dec 15, 2014, 12:35:21 PM12/15/14
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raj,

I had earlier seen the link you gave me but it somehow doest explain on which machine to install what.Steps 1 and 2 are very clear. Somehow it seems something is missing from step 2. How can I verify that I have the latest Vagrant using the script given ($ vagrant -v
Vagrant version 1.6.3) when I am running on windows. How do I Register the image with Vagrant - on which machine? This scripts given (mkdir -p ~/appscale; cd ~/appscale;vagrant init appscale/releases) is a linux script  when I am running windows.
Pardon me for these questions but I am a novice in this area. Raj, would I also be able to contact you directly as I am doing a PhD and would want to integrate my ideas using Appscale. In the meantime, I am downloading Appscale virtual box to see if I can use image file on virtual box

On Monday, 15 December 2014 17:07:31 UTC, Raj wrote:
Hello Adewole,
This should work given you can run vagrant and virtualbox. I would recommend the following instructions:

If you cannot get it to work with vagrant, you can also download the VirtualBox image from http://downloads.appscale.com and start the image using the VirtualBox GUI. Once the image has started, log into the virtual machine and follow the instructions on running the tools:

Thanks,
Raj
On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Adewole Ogunyadeka <1308...@brookes.ac.uk> wrote:
Hi all, I have been trying to install Appscale on my windows, there doesnt seem to be a way. I have virtual box already installed.

Navraj Chohan

Dec 15, 2014, 12:54:08 PM12/15/14
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adewole,
You should be using the command line prompt in Windows:

If you are unable to use a command line, I would suggest going the route of using the VirtualBox GUI. You should  be able to load in the image once you've downloaded it and start it as a running instance.

Glad to answer any general questions on this list (helpful for the community). Any questions you have that are specific to your project you can email directly.

Thanks,
Raj

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/appscale_community.

Adewole Ogunyadeka

Jan 5, 2015, 9:42:19 AM1/5/15
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hello Raj,

I am trying to use the appscale now on ubuntu and after following the steps on (https://github.com/AppScale/appscale/wiki/AppScale-on-VirtualBox) I get to the point where I type the "vagrant up" command and I keep getting an error message: unable to get local issuer certificate.

Navraj Chohan

Jan 5, 2015, 1:13:43 PM1/5/15
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adewole,
Are you able to start any VM at all? Make sure you can start the provided Precise Ubuntu VM by vagrant before proceeding.

Thanks,
Raj

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/appscale_community.

Adewole Ogunyadeka

Jan 5, 2015, 1:45:44 PM1/5/15
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
I get the following error message "The machine with the name 'hashicorp/precise64' was not found configured for this Vagrant environment.".

Regards

Adewole Ogunyadeka

Jan 6, 2015, 6:46:07 AM1/6/15
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com

Hello Raj, I though I should just post a screen shot of the error I am getting. I have installed virtual box but I still get a message saying 'appscale/releases' could not be found. The screenshot above shows the message

Meni Vaitsi

Jan 6, 2015, 12:30:01 PM1/6/15
to appscale_community
Hi Adewole,

There was a problem with the URL which should be fixed now.
Please try `vagrant up` again and let us know.

-Meni

--
Meni Vaitsi
Software Engineer