JDK update causing Cassandra not to start

Prashant Hegde

Apr 4, 2018, 9:52:47 AM4/4/18
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

One of our server got updated JDK 8 u 162 ( from JDK 8 u 151 ) today. After, that, we are hitting an issue where Cassandra is refusing to start. In cassandra, debug.log we are seeing an exception which points to this issue ( https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14173 )

== Exception in cassandra/logs/debug.log ==

java.lang.AbstractMethodError: org.apache.cassandra.utils.JMXServerUtils$Exporter.exportObject(Ljava/rmi/Remote;ILjava/rmi/server/RMIClientSocketFactory;Ljava/rmi/server/RMIServerSocketFactory;Lsun/misc/ObjectInputFilter;)Ljava/rmi/Remote;
        at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIJRMPServerImpl.export(RMIJRMPServerImpl.java:150) ~[na:1.8.0_162]
        at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIJRMPServerImpl.export(RMIJRMPServerImpl.java:135) ~[na:1.8.0_162]
        at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectorServer.start(RMIConnectorServer.java:405) ~[na:1.8.0_162]
        at org.apache.cassandra.utils.JMXServerUtils.createJMXServer(JMXServerUtils.java:104) ~[apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.maybeInitJmx(CassandraDaemon.java:143) [apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:188) [apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.activate(CassandraDaemon.java:600) [apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:689) [apache-cassandra-3.11.0.jar:3.11.0]
=====

After that we manually installed JDK 8 u151. We updated the environment to point to the older Java. But, nothing is helping.

How can we fix this issue?

We also tried changing cassandra-env.sh to point to the right JDK. But if we do that, there is no activity at all in cassandra/logs/debug.log.

Thanks
Prashant

Chris Donati

Apr 4, 2018, 10:33:17 AM4/4/18
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Upgrading to the latest version of Cassandra should fix the issue. We merged a commit to master yesterday with that change: https://github.com/AppScale/appscale/pull/2703

Prashant Hegde

Apr 4, 2018, 10:54:08 AM4/4/18
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

Any idea how do we get this onto a production server?

Should we do a appscale upgrade?

Prashant

Chris Donati

Apr 4, 2018, 1:53:29 PM4/4/18
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, an `appscale upgrade` won't fix the issue since the current released version of AppScale does not have the commit that fixes it.

If you'd like to just upgrade Cassandra manually, you should:
  1. Copy your Cassandra configuration files (cassandra-env.sh and cassandra.yaml) from /opt/cassandra/cassandra/conf to a backup location. (this is important because AppScale modifies the configuration files from the released version)
  2. Remove the old Cassandra directory (/opt/cassandra/cassandra) (DO NOT remove /opt/appscale/cassandra since that is the data directory)
  3. Extract the new apache-cassandra-3.11.2-bin.tar.gz to /opt/cassandra and rename the directory to "cassandra" so that you have /opt/cassandra/cassandra/bin, etc. instead of /opt/cassandra/apache-cassandra-3.11.2/bin, etc.
  4. Copy your backed up configuration files back to /opt/cassandra/cassandra/conf
  5. Run `chown -R cassandra /opt/cassandra/cassandra`
  6. Cassandra should now be able to start.
If you instead want to upgrade to current master, you could:
  1. Stop appscale with `appscale down`
  2. Update the repo in /root/appscale to the latest commit on master (git checkout master && git pull origin master)
  3. Run a build with `bash debian/appscale_build.sh`
  4. Start appscale again with `appscale up`

Prashant Hegde

Apr 4, 2018, 2:08:44 PM4/4/18
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions.

We did "git pull orgin master" and "appscale_build" and server is up and running !!

This issue came from nowhere, and can't thank you enough for your timely help.

Prashant

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/appscale_community.