AppScale install on Debian/Raspian.

Leo Andres

Feb 11, 2016, 4:27:31 PM2/11/16
to AppScale Community
Has anyone succeeded in installing AppScale onto a Debian machine from source rather than on Ubuntu?

chris....@appscale.com

Feb 13, 2016, 3:39:03 AM2/13/16
to AppScale Community
Hi Leo,

You can give this branch a try, which should allow you to build on Wheezy. We currently test only Precise and Trusty, so I wouldn't recommend using it in production, but I was able to build AppScale successfully in a Wheezy Vagrant box with that branch.

Leo Andres

Feb 13, 2016, 10:57:26 PM2/13/16
to AppScale Community
Hi Chris,

I got it to compile after pulling your code into mine.  However, I got the following error:

Message from sys...@localhost.localdomain at Feb 13 22:52:38 ...
 haproxy[4385]: proxy appscaledashboard has no server available!

Message from sys...@localhost.localdomain at Feb 13 22:52:41 ...
 haproxy[4443]: proxy appscaledashboard has no server available!

Any idea what that could mean?

Thanks,
Leo

Leo Andres

Feb 13, 2016, 10:59:27 PM2/13/16
to AppScale Community
Sorry, forgot to say that I got that error after running "appscale up"

Leo

graziano obertelli

Feb 14, 2016, 2:25:38 PM2/14/16
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
The dashboard is the application sitting on port 1080 on each appscale
deployment. It is interesting you get the message on the shell, I have not
seen it before, but it seems to imply that the dashboard is not coming up
properly. Can you check first the controller logs, then the
app___appscaledashboard logs? Maybe also the appmanagerserver logs.

Just to clarify the order of events is:
- during the up phase, the controller sends the command to start the
dashboard (you should see this part in the controller logs);
- the appmanagerserver receives the order to start the dashboard (you
should this part on the AppManagerServer logs);
- the environment for the dashboard is created (you should see this part
in the app___appbashboard logs).

cheers
graziano

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 07:59:27PM -0800, Leo Andres wrote:
> Sorry, forgot to say that I got that error after running "appscale up"
>
> Leo
>

> On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 10:57:26 PM UTC-5, Leo Andres wrote:
> >
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > I got it to compile after pulling your code into mine. However, I got the
> > following error:
> >
> > Message from sys...@localhost.localdomain at Feb 13 22:52:38 ...
> > haproxy[4385]: proxy appscaledashboard has no server available!
> >
> > Message from sys...@localhost.localdomain at Feb 13 22:52:41 ...
> > haproxy[4443]: proxy appscaledashboard has no server available!
> >
> > Any idea what that could mean?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Leo
> >

> > On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 3:39:03 AM UTC-5, chris....@appscale.com
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Leo,
> >>
> >> You can give this branch <https://github.com/AppScale/appscale/pull/1941>
> >> a try, which should allow you to build on Wheezy. We currently test only
> >> Precise and Trusty, so I wouldn't recommend using it in production, but I
> >> was able to build AppScale successfully in a Wheezy Vagrant box with that
> >> branch.

> --

Graziano Obertelli
AppScale Systems, Inc.

chris....@appscale.com

Feb 14, 2016, 6:05:12 PM2/14/16
to AppScale Community
I think this error is due to the haproxy dashboard configuration being written and reloaded before the dashboard comes up. I see the error a few times in my syslog as well (not echoed to the shell, though) under normal operation on an appscale up.

Unless the error is persistent, I wouldn't worry about it. We're in the process of changing the order of events, which should silence that error. Even so, I don't think it indicates anything is broken except for the time it takes for the dashboard app to start.

Leo Andres

Feb 15, 2016, 6:42:50 PM2/15/16
to AppScale Community
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your help.  I went ahead and ignored those errors, and sure enough, the AppScale Dashboard came up.

Thanks,
Leo

Ali Nadeem

May 21, 2016, 6:56:31 AM5/21/16
to AppScale Community
Hi Leo,

Could u successfully deploy on debain based OS ??? Have u tried raspberry pi 3 that supports debain Jessie rather than wheezy??

Thanks
ALI