update GO SDK in AppScale 2.6.0

Brian Huxley

Dec 24, 2015, 2:12:42 PM12/24/15
to AppScale Community
I'm trying to migrate my existing and fully functional GAE go1.4 app

When I start on a fresh server, and use the curent master github bootstrap.sh, this is the version that comes with it:

root@appscale-image0:~/appscale-fresh/AppServer # ./goapp version
go version go1.1.2 (appengine-1.8.8) linux/amd64

1.1.2 is very old, and my application needs at least 1.4 to work, which has been supported on appspot for a long while.

Can anyone help me figure out how I can upgrade, ideally using whatever the current version is here:   https://cloud.google.com/appengine/downloads?hl=en#Google_App_Engine_SDK_for_Go

I tried merely copying over the lib/ bin/ goroot/ and gopath/ folders with the newest SDK, but that did not work :-)

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

chris....@appscale.com

Dec 28, 2015, 1:57:35 PM12/28/15
to AppScale Community
Hi Brian,

Unfortunately, we lag a bit behind GAE when it comes to the supported SDK version. For example, we just updated the Java SDK to 1.8.4, and our Go SDK (as you discovered) is at 1.8.8.

It may be awhile before we are able to support 1.9.19, which looks like the earliest Go SDK based on Go 1.4. Here's the commit when we last updated our Go SDK, but it seems to just be replacing the goroot directory along with the three wrappers in AppServer.

If you are able to get it working or make any progress in this area, we would love to include your changes in AppScale. Moving from 1.8.x to 1.9.x may require a lot of changes, though. When you updated the goroot folder, did you get any specific errors?

Shaun Juncal

Apr 18, 2016, 7:48:18 PM4/18/16
to AppScale Community
Hi Brian,

Just wanted to let you know that we now support Go 1.4.3 in AppScale (https://github.com/AppScale/appscale/pull/1993).

Let me know if you have any issues getting your app up and running.

Thanks!
Shaun

Product Manager, AppScale Systems