Re: Replacing Cassandra

Message has been deleted

Chris Donati

Apr 9, 2018, 12:46:58 PM4/9/18
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
At the moment, AppScale only supports Cassandra for the Datastore API backend.

It's possible right now to use a MySQL database directly from the app (much like you can use Cloud SQL in App Engine): https://github.com/AppScale/appscale/wiki/FAQs#how-can-i-deploy-my-app-with-mysql-cloudsql-on-appscale

It would be possible to add support for additional Datastore API backends. In the past, AppScale supported quite a few different backends. However, adding support for additional backends is quite a lot of work both to develop and to maintain.

Out of curiosity, what is it about Cassandra that won't work for your use case?

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 3:29 AM, Johny Berg <shahsw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Community

is it possible to replace cassandra Database in appscale with another databse e.g. MySQL etc. ?

Message has been deleted

Chris Donati

Apr 9, 2018, 5:07:18 PM4/9/18
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
The amount of work would be pretty significant. I would recommend taking a look at the AppDB/appscale/datastore/cassandra_env if you'd like to see the areas where the datastore server interacts with Cassandra.

If you'd like a quick fix for Cassandra to use less resources, you could reduce its max heap size. Here's an example of where we adjust it slightly in cases where other services are running on the same machine: https://github.com/AppScale/appscale/pull/2645

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 1:26 PM, Johny Berg <shahsw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for your reply.
Actually, I want to try out a different DB which could consume fewer resources in Appscale. What do you think how difficult it could get to achieve such task?

On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 6:46:58 PM UTC+2, Chris Donati wrote:
At the moment, AppScale only supports Cassandra for the Datastore API backend.

It's possible right now to use a MySQL database directly from the app (much like you can use Cloud SQL in App Engine): https://github.com/AppScale/appscale/wiki/FAQs#how-can-i-deploy-my-app-with-mysql-cloudsql-on-appscale

It would be possible to add support for additional Datastore API backends. In the past, AppScale supported quite a few different backends. However, adding support for additional backends is quite a lot of work both to develop and to maintain.

Out of curiosity, what is it about Cassandra that won't work for your use case?
On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 3:29 AM, Johny Berg <shahsw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Community

is it possible to replace cassandra Database in appscale with another databse e.g. MySQL etc. ?

Magnetar lights

Apr 21, 2018, 9:23:39 AM4/21/18
to AppScale Community
Hello Johny Berg,
Have you tried to replace Cassandra with other BD? I just started to using App-scale my goal is also similar like yours's .

Thanks