Hello World JSP error

Prashant Hegde

Dec 6, 2017, 1:39:45 AM12/6/17
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We are trying to deploy a simple app with a single Hello World jsp on appscale 3.4.0.1, virtualbox image (using vagrant).This app works fine on the appengine dev server.

The pom (we use maven to build the app) and the jsp attached. App is built using JDK 8.

It seems like we are missing something obvious. Can you please help?

Regards
Prashant

==
Error Details:

---

HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /. Reason:

    Unable to compile class for JSP:

An error occurred at line: 1 in the generated java file
The type java.io.ObjectInputStream cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files

Stacktrace:

Caused by:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP:

An error occurred at line: 1 in the generated java file
The type java.io.ObjectInputStream cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files

Stacktrace:
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:92)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:330)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler.generateClass(JDTCompiler.java:439)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:349)

----

pom.xml
index.jsp

Chris Donati

Dec 6, 2017, 2:25:20 PM12/6/17
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hello Prashant,

This looks like it's related to https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38030398/google-app-engine-java-8-and-jsp-files-compilation-error. Following https://stackoverflow.com/a/39050364, I was able to resolve the issue by replacing /root/appscale/AppServer_Java/appengine-java-sdk-repacked/lib/tools/jsp/repackaged-appengine-jasper-jdt-6.0.29.jar with lib/tools/jsp/repackaged-appengine-eclipse-jdt-ecj.jar from the newest SDK (appengine-java-sdk-1.9.59.zip).

Let me know if that works for you.

-Chris

Prashant Hegde

Dec 6, 2017, 10:37:12 PM12/6/17
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Worked like a charm !

Thanks Chris.

Isnt this a packaging issue with appscale? Do you plan to fix it so that we wont have to do this manually?

Thanks
Prashant

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/appscale_community.

Chris Donati

Dec 7, 2017, 12:06:05 AM12/7/17
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we do plan on fixing it. I'm not sure yet how soon, though. On one hand, we could wait until we upgrade the entire SDK enough until this issue is fixed. On the other, we could just upgrade that jar. The downside of upgrading the jar is that it could result in unexpected issues if some of the older SDK code happens to depend on functionality from the older jar.

Prashant Hegde

Dec 7, 2017, 12:10:10 AM12/7/17
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Understood. Thanks.